Electric runabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well, over 16,000 people can't be wrong, or can they? The only car I've ever seen where doors are optional.
I'm sure there will be work around for the battery situation. After all a battery is a battery, isn't it?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm going to do some research, see if anyone has found a way around it, or maybe see if anyone makes a sells a compatible battery. Google and notebook on stand by!

keithmac

Guru
Most if the time the batteries house some of the controller electronics as well, so you can't sling any old battery in unfortunately.

Tim Hall

Is car club membership an option? Someone I know gets her 4 wheel transport requirements that way, often/sometimes hiring a Nissan Leaf for the purpose. I don't know how quickly they are available, but I suspect it would involve an element of forward planning on your part to make it work. Gets away from the battery lease problem though.

MarkF

Guru
Very cheap servicing (no engine or gearbox), free road tax, cheap insurance...what's not to like?

Well, having to rent the battery is not to like. I don't like the idea of having to fork out each month, and then being stuck for electrons if the lease company decide to stop renting them out at some point.

The idea really appeals, and the battery is the only major fly in the ointment.

What do you fellows and fellowesess think?

The urban police use these in Spain and I saw a few last week in Naples, but outnumbered 100+:1 by Smart cars.

I really like the look of them, but apart from occasional weather protection they don't make much sense to me compared to the Suzuki Van Van I use for commuting. That costs about £120 a year to have on the road, inc tax, insurance and residual losses! I don't know where you ride/drive but for me, I'd just be stuck in the traffic, unable to filter and not allowed to use the bus lanes. Still, I like 'em. :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I tend not to do much urban work. Nearest towns are Milton Keynes, which for all its faults doesn't suffer too badly with congestion, and Northampton, where you'd take your life in your hands if you tried filtering.

Electric cars do seem to depreciate badly, which indicates a lack of market acceptance. Not such a problem for me, as I'd find a dirt cheap one and keep of for as long as possible. It'd be cheaper to tax, fuel and insure than my motorbike.

I have heard of people buying them in Germany or Holland and importing them into the UK, thus dodging the battery rental issue by effectively stealing the battery from a foreign country.

MarkF

Guru
I tend not to do much urban work. Nearest towns are Milton Keynes, which for all its faults doesn't suffer too badly with congestion, and Northampton, where you'd take your life in your hands if you tried filtering.

For me it couldn't work, even with a car sat outside not moving 95% of the time, but when the last kid has gone and we move then I'd seriously consider one. It's great to see a major manufacturer doing something wacky. :okay: Can you park this nose-on to the kerb? I know the new Smart has now groin too large to do that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMG_0755.JPG

Just for a bit of fun anyone care to offer a caption for this?

MarkF

Guru
I'd just looked more closely at the pro's and cons in some reviews and checked out the used prices. The Twizy's cons keep making the reviewers compare it to a motorbike/maxi-scooter, fair enough, but then it's only fair to compare the used prices and running costs too and these make a used Twizy look very good value to me.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I think I'd want the full door kit. Thankfully they're not too expensive from aftermarket suppliers. They're not 100% weatherproof, but keep 98% of the weather off you.

Lack of heater makes it more asking to the motorbike experience in the winter, but I'm not averse to wrapping up warm.

Top Bottom