Electric runabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Reminds me of a mate of mine who got nicked for careless driving - in a milk float.

He lost control - and a couple of crates of gold top - going down a hill.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it were me I'd go for the doorless, more akin to a motorbike. What happens in winter if you're fully enclosed and body heat mists up the windows?

But does it have side windows at all?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Looks great.

Shame they put a prat behind the wheel instead of giving it a serious test. About 10p in electricity (The tester reckons £1 for a 38 mile range) plus £11.25 battery hire per week for someone doing 4500 miles per year.

And none of the service costs associated with an IC engine. If circumstances permitted I'd have one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Side windows are an accessory. The screen is heated, though lord knows how much its use reduces range.

The video above makes me want one even more, though hopefully it won't make me behave like the reviewer.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
By the standards of a quadricycle class vehicle its very good, far more protection than when on my motorbike, or bicycle, or on foot. Having been cycling with zero protection for 4 and a half decades, to suddenly have a little bit of protection is bad because...?

@Cunobelin I must agree. The range doesn't worry me for local pottering, but the idea of never owning a battery and being beholden to a company that might stop renting them out one day as numbers dwindle is the major objection for me.

I've just done an insurance quote, £101 comp with a 3000 mile limit. I'm unlikely to do 2,000 between MOTs, so that's ample.

Negligible fuel costs.

Ditto maintenance.

Its just this battery ownership issue that I can't get comfortable with.
If the battery is the issue, why not consider other small elec cars.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Mitsubishi Miev can be had cheap, but looks as much fun as a romantic dinner with Diane Abbot.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Its just I'm getting increasingly unsettled by the environmental and societal cost of having 1050kg of metal, plastic and belching fumes, to move a 116kg man, even if its rarely used. I'm becoming an old hippy ;)
It's very laudable that you have finally spotted a ray of light breaking through the rolling banks of smog, but didn't you used to be 4x4 Gas-guzzling Man? What happened? :whistle:

Well, over 16,000 people can't be wrong, or can they?
17,277,180 people voted for the Nazis in the 1933 German federal election!

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
ever heavier lumps of metal to protect oneself from other people in ever heavier lumps of metal is utter madness
I've idly mused in the past whether anyone's ever done any kind of cost/benefit analysis of the kind of safety protection mandated into modern motors - ie, the societal impact of all the surplus metal being hauled around v supposed increased safety for car drivers/occupants. We all drive around hauling sufficient armour-plating to protect us from impacts only one in a million will ever encounter, thus belching out vastly-increased pollution which inflicts unquestionable 'anti-protection' on millions. Does it, overall, make sense, purely from a public health perspective? Would there be a case for a fundamental rethink, with a new focus on the safety of the many rather than the 'protection' of the few, leading to a new generation of minimal-'protection' cars with tiny engines, ideal for the main transport-requirement of modern motors: transporting individuals a few miles at an average 8MPH?

MarkF

Guru
Looks great.

Shame they put a prat behind the wheel instead of giving it a serious test. About 10p in electricity (The tester reckons £1 for a 38 mile range) plus £11.25 battery hire per week for someone doing 4500 miles per year.

And none of the service costs associated with an IC engine. If circumstances permitted I'd have one.

Hmm, I didn't know the battery costs, I use my Van Van because it's cheap transportation (& cool), that battery hire cost per month (£11.25) is about the very same as it costs me to do my monthly 240 miles commute.

Top Bottom