Electric runabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Think I'd add..'at the moment' fuel isn't going to get cheaper. And there is a reasonable chance of diesel cars being hit somehow in next budget. Theres been hints of it happening, though I don't think it will be as severe as some of the Daily Mail headlines.

Tax at the pump is 70+% Tax on electric is 5%.

Diesel is a difficult one as they were promoted (including the Government) as an option in fact Labour cut duty on Diesel as an incentive, and the present system still has incentives to buy diesel

Is it fair to penalise those who acted in good faith and believed the same Governments that now wish to penalise them for following that advice

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It is not fair.

However, reducing the death toll must take priority over abstract concepts such as fairness.

I researched the Twizy, other vehicle battery rental charges are higher

The other issue is with the rental fees, the £45 quoted is for the minimum 4,500 miles and a 36 month contract . The true cost for an annual contract is £55

My commute put me over the 4,500 miles bracket, (20 miles, 5 days a week for 48 weeks) so I would have had to pay the higher £59, restricted my commute, and there would have been no ability to nip to the shops or a leisure ride

If you want a longer commute, or occasional recreational use it becomes more expensive, with a heavier user paying more

The other small print is that you are restricted to that milage. IF you exceed the amount you are paying for then you are hit financially - to quote Renault:

Excess mileage is charged at £11.25 (incl. VAT) per 100 miles

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It is indeed a difference topic, although reducing pollution is one of many reasons for considering the idea.

I think my next step will be to eyeball a Twizy and somehow blag a drive.

It is indeed a difference topic, although reducing pollution is one of many reasons for considering the idea.

I think my next step will be to eyeball a Twizy and somehow blag a drive.

Some Tourist areas hire them. I know of centre in the Lakes, Brecons and more locally (to me) lots in the New Forest and Isle of Wight

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Buy powering your car using coal fired powerstations?.
That is of course the elephant in the room. That using electricity for transport doesn't reduce the environmental impact at all. On the contrary, electricity is a very inefficient form of fuel for moving stuff around, even before you factor in the wastage involved in its transportation and storage. All it does, in fact, is relocate the pollution, while actually increasing it, for the world at large, quite a lot. At least, that's what I read somewhere...doubtless a better informed bod will arrive shortly.

That has a massively wider implication for all vehicle use that is way outside this thread

The government acted on information that was believed to be correct at the time. Several years have passed, and new information and research suggests that we was wrong initially so steps are being taken now to correct that. It's not just cars, government policies have changed on numerous topics that contradict earlier policies.

The government acted on information that was believed to be correct at the time. Several years have passed, and new information and research suggests that we was wrong initially so steps are being taken now to correct that. It's not just cars, government policies have changed on numerous topics that contradict earlier policies.

Sorry, that was not the way that later reply was intended, it was a reply to Daago's specific post

It is not fair.

However, reducing the death toll must take priority over abstract concepts such as fairness.

I was suggesting that if we accepted this argument then should we be looking at vehicle use as a whole, inappropriate journeys, unsafe designs, low MPG, high emissions, single occupant use, and a whole plethora of other factors that would be deemed unfair etc

That is why I felt it was outside the scope of this thread

keithmac

Guru
As of just a minute ago, coal fired electricity in the UK was 0%. Linky.

Good interesting link!, brunt of electric generated by burning natural gas though, followed by nuclear generators.

Did you see the documentary on Sizewell, they have 5 meter deep "pond" full of spent nuclear waste, some 5p years old or more. Just sat there because they haven't a clue what to do with it..

Top Bottom