Electronic driving aids - love, hate or indifferent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's one thing I insist on now, even the little Aygo we got for daughter/son has it. It's so much better at this time of year leaving it on to de-humidify the car, stops windows steaming when you've got damp people in the car.

When we had the despicable/horrible C-Max, we had to leave A/C on constantly otherwise it misted up
No odd smells of dampness/, it just did
Vile thing!!!!

Remember years ago, when you’d open the quarter-light open for ventilation/demisting?

gbb

Legendary Member
IIRC tests have shown having windows open in hot weather at speed results in air drag that causes more fuel to be consumed than using air con.

Tbf, I'm pretty unaffected by hot and cold temps in the car.
Summer, i tend to switch aircon on and off dependant on terrain, uphill I turn it off if it was on, I only really use it in summer to keep it all working. Winter it'll get used to demist but that's OK, better safe and a little out of pocket .
I don't even use the heater in winter.much, I have a 15 minute motorway commute and I'm well wrapped up for work anyway.
Heated seats, don't bother with although the feeling is really nice.

CXRAndy

Guru

Petrichorwheels

Once sat as a passenger with someone driving along a mediterrenean coast who felt the need to show off his in car gps navigation. It constantly piped up to tell him to go left left straight on. Pretty damn obvious. If had chosen to go right he would have been in the damn sea.

DRLs. Shame there isnt an over ride that stops people driving at night with no rear lights as the DRL and dash is lit. See this all the time. This is where clever tech is beaten by idiots.
Exactly
If I'm leaving work, at the same time as the clerical/out-patients staff, I'll end up riding alongside at least one a day, as they queue to leave the grounds, knocking on the window, & suggesting they turn lights on
Some are indignant, pointing forwards at the light reflecting off the car ahead, implying that they are on
An invitation to step out & view the rear, when they do, tends to leave them in amazement
It suggests to me that, either
1. They don't know/never considered the fact that the rears aren't on the same circuit
2. They don't care..... "I can see where I'm going!!"

Can’t it be the seat settings (& other electronic functions; door mirrors?) be allotted to different keys?

Agree on small rear-windows
Wife had a Toyota C-HR, & that was appalling
When we had the XKR, & that departed, back in 2012, that had the ability to set 'profiles' to each key, for 2 different drivers; electric seats, mirrors, & (I think?) steering wheel tilt

Heated steering wheels ? Good if you've got Reynauds I guess, but otherwise ?

Self parking, why, this is for people who can't drive ?
A friend, at work, has a VW ID3, that has a heated steering wheel, & (he tells me) the ability to turn the heater on for it, & the seat. via a phone app :rolleyes:
Now, surely, the ability to turn on a heated screen/mirrors would be more useful (it may offer that function, I don't know??)

Drago

Legendary Member
Not so good in terms of control, and a lot of cars have switchgear etc that isn't designed to be operated while wearing gloves.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Apple have a feature to stop an iPhone being used whilst driving, shame no one uses it.

I use it, but it is a work phone, so when I drive, I don't have it with me.

Annoyingly, it thinks that when I am cycling or on the train, I am driving, so blocks phone calls. And have to keep telling it that I am not driving.

figbat

Slippery scientist
A friend, at work, has a VW ID3, that has a heated steering wheel, & (he tells me) the ability to turn the heater on for it, & the seat. via a phone app :rolleyes:
Now, surely, the ability to turn on a heated screen/mirrors would be more useful (it may offer that function, I don't know??)

My electric MINI has a 'precondition cabin for departure' option that can be activated remotely by app - it will heat the cabin, clear the windows and mirrors and warm the seats for you. :becool:

My electric MINI has a 'precondition cabin for departure' option that can be activated remotely by app - it will heat the cabin, clear the windows and mirrors and warm the seats for you. :becool:
I could understand defrosting the screens/mirrors...........

A few years ago, I almost bought/fitted, an Eberspacher(?) heater for my 110Td5, that plugged into the mains (using a caravan style cable) & heated the coolant, for easier starting/'instant' defrosting

Jody

Stubborn git
I could understand defrosting the screens/mirrors...........

A few years ago, I almost bought/fitted, an Eberspacher(?) heater for my 110Td5, that plugged into the mains (using a caravan style cable) & heated the coolant, for easier starting/'instant' defrosting

Colleague went that route when one of the glow plugs snapped in his TDV6

Worked a treat

geocycle

Legendary Member
VW polo, tyre pressure light came on every time we were on the motorway. Numerous trips to dealer, all new tyres, no difference. Sold the car!

Ford cmax, parking assist being demonstrated by salesman having just signed the cheque, hit a tree. Ten years on we have enjoyed the car but never used the parking assist again!

Top Bottom