Electronic gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No :angel:

Good morning,

I sort of have, some days I ride carbon frame/Di2 Ultegra and some days 531 frame/DT shifters.

I am unsure of what you are asking though? :-)

After the novelty wore off I found the carbon/Di2 slighly disappointing, quite possibly it is beyond my needs so I don't reap the real benefits.

Rear changes on Di2 are clearly better than reaching for the DT shifter but in practice add nothing to the enjoyment of the ride.

The front is different matter though in circumstance like coming up to major roundabout; Shifting to the small ring to get a good acceleration and then up change whilst still on the roundabout is a real positive. The rest of the time Di2 is better but again it is "who cares" better, I did see a video with Claris STIs and front changes looked horrible, far worse than a DT shifter.

I think that if your first bike was carbon/Di2 then anything else will be worse, but if your first bike was steel/DT shifters then the improvement may turn out to be "yes, i get that its better" but be disappointed by how little it is better unless you are an elite level rider.

Bye

Ian

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure it's very good, fast and accurate and I can understand the need if you're riding competitively but for the leisure cyclist it's overkill. But don't take any notice if the naysayers, if you've got the money and want it give it a go. Shimano's accountants will thank you.

CXRAndy

Guru
I got Di2 on my first CX bike 5 years ago. I thought it was wonderful in comparison to mechanical shifting. Since then Ive built several bikes with half being Di2 the other mechanical. The Di2 for my tourer has allowed me to have road hydraulic shifters with MTB derailleurs, so I have huge gearing range with syncro shift to eliminate cross chaining.

I put mechanical on bikes I dont use regularly so no need to worry about battery issues being stored.

If I was to build a new bike for regular use Di2 would be the preferred shifting.

jay clock

Massive member
I have two road bikes and definitely prefer Di2. Faultless (apart from when some dlckhead clamped a tribar over the cable (yes, me, and £45 plus new bar tape))

The winter bike is 105. It's a bit like when cars added power steering, aircon or parking sensors. Initially you wonder WTF they are needed for and pretty soon you get over it and realised life has moved on. I remember my Dad in the 60s complaining that his car didn't have a starting handle (just in case......)

I know there are people who consider STI levers to be newfangled and use bar end shifters for the one day in 10,000 when indexing goes wrong. The only downer for Di2 is long tours when charging more of an issue. But I have just built a new tourer with newfangled STI levers and expect no hassle.

jay clock

Massive member
I'd rather have a fixie.
works for some types of ride but not suitable for my type of triathlon rides. I think someone has done an Ironman on one but for good reason most people don't!

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
https://www.vanillabikes.com/produc...MIlZCV-Ybz4AIVCZ3tCh2M4wW4EAQYAiABEgKjcvD_BwE
I have two road bikes and definitely prefer Di2. Faultless (apart from when some dlckhead clamped a tribar over the cable (yes, me, and £45 plus new bar tape))

The winter bike is 105. It's a bit like when cars added power steering, aircon or parking sensors. Initially you wonder WTF they are needed for and pretty soon you get over it and realised life has moved on. I remember my Dad in the 60s complaining that his car didn't have a starting handle (just in case......)

I know there are people who consider STI levers to be newfangled and use bar end shifters for the one day in 10,000 when indexing goes wrong. The only downer for Di2 is long tours when charging more of an issue. But I have just built a new tourer with newfangled STI levers and expect no hassle.

thanks, useful info. Not sure yet if I need the complete groupset (link), or I can just add in the all the shifters (link)

Went Di2 (Dura-Ace ^_^ ) on the Ridley Helium road bike and now getting parts together to do the same on the commuter Light Blue Robinson (Ultegra hydro disc) so you could say I like it.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Top Bottom