Embarrassing Accidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

Hi Folks

I'm new on here.

I joined for some advice after a crash with a milk float which was very embarrassing.

May I take this chance to say HI to all and thanks to everyone who has given me advice.

So, what embarressing accidents/incidents have you experienced on your bike?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Went round a courner too fast, hit the curb, ran down the curb on the road then fell over onto the grass.:?: Embarrissing it was!

yenrod

I once went round a corner in the dark yet the kerb was covered in leaves, which also covered the road = me on the floor: the estimation was totally wrong :?:

dudi

I didn't see a rather large lorry parked in a lay-by once, it was jutting out into the road by about a foot i think. I hit it, full force of about 20-25mph onto my left shoulder. nice

broke my collar bone in 2 places an a rather nasty graze on my shoulder. knocked out for a few seconds... quite lucky not to have been run over by following cars as I ended up in the middle of the road. the car behind me stopped and they helped my to the side of the road, although apparently I insisted on carrying my bike myself... I was told later by the guy who helped me that my first words after realising what i'd done was simply "bugger", then I phoned my wife & told her i wouldn't be home in time for dinner!

Kind chap took my address and put my bike in his car, and dropped it off for me while the ambulance took me to A&E. no idea who he is and never really got to chance to thank him.

coming southbound out of the Elephant and Castle roundabout in the fast lane. The open top sports car to my left edges in to my lane. I turn left, and explain to the driver, with appropriate hand gestures, that his driving leaves a tad to be desired, and his parentage isn't quite up to par. Pedalling all the while.

So vivacious, so lyrical was the conversation that I didn't spot that the van in front of me had come to a dead stop.

Not for the first time the old myth about carbon forks being brittle was tested and found wanting.

racing some Australian twenty-something down Bishopsgate. Hah! Once again the opposition bows to the Force that is L. Standing up, pedalling, back wheel hits wet manhole cover, wheel slides sideways, I correct, wheel slides the other way, I brake, smash!

'Jeez mate, I've never seen anything like that'. He was kind enough to call the ambulance, call my wife 'You Simon's missus? Look, there's no need to worry'. Mrs L starts sobbing....

Going north on the Brixton Road. Bus ahead, truck to my right. I form a devilishly clever plan. I'll use the bus to get a tow, and slingshot around the right, going through the ever-diminishing gap between bus and truck. This requires a rapid approach to the back of a bus, then a flick right. Everybody will be very impressed.

Bus stops at bus stop. What's that about? Jam on brakes, rear wheel goes all over the place, fifteen to twenty metre skid, hit back of bus.

Not for the first time, the old myth about carbon forks etc......

zimzum42

Legendary Member
pedalling slowly round the corner of Store Street into TCR (Yes, those of you with an anal knowledge of London will point out I was going the wrong way down a one way street, but I was with a friend who was walking and going very slowly)

Had a clipless moment, fell over, and was helped to my feet by a very smelly local crackhead. Something embarassing about being concerned for by a tramp!

TVC

Rolled up to a mini roundabout in a busy high street, attempted to remove left shoe from cleat, failed. You can guess the rest.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Simon - you seem to crash a worrying number of times. I think my only really embarassing off has been when I was first riding clipless - but we've all had those.

longers

Legendary Member
My second clipless moment on the same ride would probably count as embarrassing.

I saw the lad from an old LBS have a beauty. I was upstairs looking out at the weather just at the right time to see him plow straight into the back of a friends parked car. No major damage done but it took him a while (weeks) to get over the embarrassment.

Top Bottom