Embarrassing Accidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
turning right into my street, between queued traffic, got t-boned by some loon who was sprinting up the inside of the cars. we both fell off, but as no significant damage was done to bike or rider, we had a laugh, shook hands and carried on.

gave the waiting cagers something to look at i suppose…

radger

Veteran
Waiting at a junction, left foot on the floor, right on the pedal, ready to go when there was a gap in the traffic.
I just fell over sideways for no apparent reason.

Coming out of Hereford Rail Station turning right on to Commercial road, up to the front of the queue of traffic and held a track stand. The perfect track stand. Absolutely still, wheel turned up the hill, for ages. The lights change, I power down on the crank for a quick getaway and.... pop .... The BB axle failed, I now have my left pedal and crank clipped on to the bottom of my shoe and my testicle clipped on to my top-tube, in the middle of a busy junction. Hard to retain ones dignity sometimes.

Don't purchase Syncros titanium bottom brackets from ex-Syncros employees which they salvaged from the rejects bin.

Syncros were very nice, they sent me a new one all the way from Canadia.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
No witnesses to either of my two clipless moments... one, going up a hill, slowed down to admire some unusual cattle (:ohmy:, big horns, they had), fell off sideways onto verge. Second going along side of a field in middle of nowhere, went thru' puddle, deeper than I thought, bike stopped, I fell off into puddle! :biggrin:

Not an accident as such but, years ago heading into Waterloo from Kennington past the Imp War Museum, four girls in a car wind the windows down and start wolf whistling and phoaaring at me. Which was nice. I was thinking 'Yeah baby you've got it going on! Got to work and my colleague pointed out that the seam in my lycra shorts had split from chamois to waistband and my arse was proper hanging out.

Graduated from toe-clips to SPDs as soon as they came available, I'd been using LOOKs for a couple of years so no probs at all. When the sole of my shoes failed I resorted to my excellent Suntour XC Pro (with greaseguard) pedals, toe-clips and straps and SIDI shoes. Rode to the end of the street, stopped at the lights and tried to turn my foot to unclip.....

jezhiggins

Cycling along my usual route into university in the late afternoon sun, I was surprised to discover the barrier that was open at 9 in the morning was closed at 7 in the evening. Bike went under it. I didn't.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not me but a friend...
Exit pub. Unlock bike. Leap onto saddle. Miss saddle, land on floor. Bike lands on top.
Hilarity ensued.
I was coming back from a beer festival with the same guy when we were both nearly wiped out on a country lane.
By an ambulance. ;)

TheDoctor said:
Not me but a friend...
Exit pub. Unlock bike. Leap onto saddle. Miss saddle, land on floor. Bike lands on top.
Hilarity ensued.
I was coming back from a beer festival with the same guy when we were both nearly wiped out on a country lane.
By an ambulance. :ohmy:

What! You weren't wiped out at the beer festival? ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
jezhiggins said:
Cycling along my usual route into university in the late afternoon sun, I was surprised to discover the barrier that was open at 9 in the morning was closed at 7 in the evening. Bike went under it. I didn't.
Well, you can't be a lecturer then! That's far too long a day! ;):ohmy: Or a student, for that matter, in which case I surmise that you must be security, and therefore responsible for barriers (probably), so you only have yourself to blame! :biggrin: (Only joking of course!!)

Night Train

Maker of Things
A motorbike moment.
Second day out on my new Harley Davidson and I return home from a ride. Stop at my driveway gates and get off to open the gates. Completely forgot to put the sidestand down. I was trapped between 300kg of reving bike and my gatepost and only standing on one leg completely unable to push the bike upright.

Cue 72 year old mum to the rescue.

Mr Pig

Well I've just added to my stupidity tally. My two youngest kids have got decent bikes, a Scott and a Specialized, but they've got a little rusty silver BMX that they love to blast around the back garden. It's had a puncture for ages so I finally got around to fixing it and oiling the thing up today.

Two bricks and a square of chipboard formed a little ramp and they were running down the drive over it.

'What you want to do is pull the front wheel up as you leave the ramp' said the fat pig 'so that both wheels land at the same time or the back wheel lands first.

So idiot pig wobbles onto this tiny bike to show them, like an elephant on a skateboard, and amazingly manages to show them what he means. Which would've been super if they'd been watching, but they weren't, and being stupid enough to push my luck again, it ran out.

Bike crumples under me and I land on my chest on the concrete. Skint knees, chunk out of the shin and winded. Tried to stay brave and wobbled to the kitchen where I sat watching the stars float round my head thinking 'why on earth does someone my age even want to get on a bike in the first place!'. Dipstick.

Top Bottom