Embra-St Andrews 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Having a look at this, but would like to know from anyone that's done it before, about the transport back to Embra, is it worth booking the transport that's provided ? or is it organised chaos a'la PFS ? i take it there's no chance of getting a train back, as a quite a few people with bikes will be wanting to do the same.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Last year I talked to a guy who was taking the train back. He said he had booked a space for the bike no probs as not many were doing it. xx(

The only downside is that the nearest station is at Leuchars, 6 miles from St Andrews :smile: but I think there is a nice cyclepath to keep you off the busy main road.

6 miles after doing the Ed-StA is no hassle actually - I rode back to Cupar last year to collect the car - 10 miles with hills :laugh: and survived :smile:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
at work just now, so only quick reply

You can also register on the day if you are there a bit early (including the bus transport for you and the bike back to Edinburgh) - obviously they want most people to pre-register if possible, for good reasons!

The transport worked like clock-work last time. The 3rd lorry (the one containing our bikes) turned up 10 minutes after the others, which is almost not worth mentioning, compared with the PfS chaos last year.

T

scoosh said:
Last year I talked to a guy who was taking the train back. He said he had booked a space for the bike no probs as not many were doing it. :ohmy:

The only downside is that the nearest station is at Leuchars, 6 miles from St Andrews :thumbsup: but I think there is a nice cyclepath to keep you off the busy main road.

6 miles after doing the Ed-StA is no hassle actually - I rode back to Cupar last year to collect the car - 10 miles with hills :laugh: and survived :rolleyes:
When I done it 3 years ago I took the train back but I got it at Glenrothes 22miles away. It was blowing a gale however and I couldn't face another 6 mile into it; I chose the 22 miles with the wind behind instead. :becool:

A couple of my mates in the road club do it every year and get the bus, so I don't think there'll be a problem with the bus as they keep on coming back for more.

themightyw

Bike spaces on the trains are booked up well in advance so call and reserve asap if you can. Great ride - perfect for novices but challenging enough for more experienced riders.

To cycle from St As to Leuchars just head out from the bandstand at the end of the ride towards the R&A, then veer to the left of the 18th green. You'll pick up a cycle path that leads you to guardbridge (maybe a 15 minute cycle?) and then turn left at guardbridge (there's only one main junction) and you'll pick up the road to leuchars.

Pretty much anyone local will be able to point you out on exactly the right road and you can't miss it from thnere.

Backache

Last year we took the organised transport, much better organised than pfs (Fewer people to organise must make it easier)
But a few things to bear in mind.
They take you back to a different place from where you start we didn't spot this it was somewhat buried in the literature.
The busses leave at the same time so if you are fast there is a lot of hanging around. You would have to be very slow to miss them though. I was doing it with my 12 year old daughter on a mountain bike and we still had a couple of hours to spare. No hardship in good weather might be a bit depressing in the rain.
Loading everyone and their bikes does inevitably take a bit of time and the roads are not the fastest so it is quite a late arrival back in Edinburgh.
It was a fantastic day out though and much more enjoyable than pfs IMHO, well worth doing and we intend to repeat this year.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
A bump for this thread.

I've not got a ride on this w-e (not doing Trossachs Ton), so have been considering going along to sign in on the day.

Any other CCers doing it this year - with or without families ?

scoosh said:
A bump for this thread.

I've not got a ride on this w-e (not doing Trossachs Ton), so have been considering going along to sign in on the day.

Any other CCers doing it this year - with or without families ?
Do it Scoosh, if the distant weather forecast is to be believed its going to be a nice day but too hot.

I'm doing it with a couple of mates and their mates, so it'll be at a very slow pace.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
HJ and I are thinking of signing up on the day again :smile:.

Hope to see some of you along the way, last year we managed to meet several times with some CCers (and their families/friends) :rofl:

T

GAVSTER

I'm in the same boat.

Not sure I want to cycle 15 miles in to Embra to turn round again and come back across the bridge. Might just start in fife and the go up to St Andrews and back home.

Top Bottom