Emergency alert today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Ahh I must of got it wrong

Ajax Bay

Guru
Since a search for 'Welsh' returns nothing, one of our group riding in Wales was perplexed by the message starting:
"Prawf o wasanaeth Rhybuddion Argyfwng . . . . "

AndyRM

XOXO
What it would and wouldn't come through on was widely reported. This is from the BBC site:

The alerts will work on all 4G and 5G phone networks and on devices with the following software:
  • iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later
  • phones and tablets running Android 11 or later
Older "non-smart" phones will be unable to receive the alerts, and nor will devices that are turned off or on aeroplane mode.
The alert will sound on phones on silent mode.

The government says emergency services will have other ways to notify those without a compatible device.

The alert is expected to reach about 90% of mobile phones.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Messages on FB..,
We have now finished with our trial of the Emergency Alert system.
If you do not receive an alert on your mobile, ths is because you are not scheduled to survive the upvoming mass extinction level event.
Unfortunately, not everyone will make it, which is disappointing news for some of you but this is the price that we are willing to pay, its for the greater good.
If you recepieved alerts on more than one phone, congratulations, you prevented someone else from getting the opportunity to survive the upcoming mass extinction level event.
We hope you are happy with yourself :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
If there’s another lab leak it can tell you to stay in your house.
If my labrador is leaking it'll likely be in the house with me!

Drago

Legendary Member
local nutter running amok; doesn't have be a world-wide zombie apocalypse
Problem is I know the response, and one of the thingss liable to happen in a prolonged active shooter/knife nutter/insert loon tactic of choice is thwt cellphone service will be shut down to stop nutters/insurgents/insert loon of choice from co-ordinating with one another. That being the case they wouldn't be able to send alerts anyway.

Short of that the incident is liable to be over too quickly for the government to convince COBRa and authorise an alert - it isn't something that can be authorised or arranged at the snap of someones fingers.

As for anything else happening at a local level my eyes or the village Facebook page (which Mrs D monitors) will tell me quicker than Central government ever could.

potsy

Rambler
3 of us in the room when the alert went off, the only one that didn't receive it was on the 3 Network...

I got the option to turn future alerts off so did that, I can barely do anything these days in 4 minutes so there's not much point

Alex321

Veteran
3 of us in the room when the alert went off, the only one that didn't receive it was on the 3 Network...

I got the option to turn future alerts off so did that, I can barely do anything these days in 4 minutes so there's not much point

What does 4 minutes have to do with anything?

Reasons you might get an alert​

You may get alerts about:

• severe flooding
  • fires
  • extreme weather
Emergency alerts will only be sent by:

• the emergency services
  • government departments, agencies and public bodies that deal with emergencies

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can't the government organise loud sirens or powerful searchlights to notify us of invading forces?
The last test of flood sirens found one in eight failed to sound, a much higher failure rate than yesterday's phone test. The sirens were deactivated in favour of a phone system, but it's taken almost ten years to activate it! Not sure what was meant to happen in that time.

DRHysted

Guru
Problem is I know the response, and one of the thingss liable to happen in a prolonged active shooter/knife nutter/insert loon tactic of choice is thwt cellphone service will be shut down to stop nutters/insurgents/insert loon of choice from co-ordinating with one another. That being the case they wouldn't be able to send alerts anyway.

Short of that the incident is liable to be over too quickly for the government to convince COBRa and authorise an alert - it isn't something that can be authorised or arranged at the snap of someones fingers.

As for anything else happening at a local level my eyes or the village Facebook page (which Mrs D monitors) will tell me quicker than Central government ever could.

This system is not supposed to be dependent upon a Cabinet Office Board Room A meeting to be sounded. So should be more user friendly.
In the event of the phone network being restricted I’d just use one of the works emergency mobiles, as they’ll still be functioning.

Top Bottom