Emergency inner tube - tubolitos or alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Most of my cycling is done in and around Glasgow. For these trips I don’t carry an inner tube or patches, since I can either walk home or get on a train with the bike if something goes wrong. I can then repair or replace the tube in the comfort of home.

For longer day trips with my wife I carry patches and two spare inner tubes. I carry both, since she’s fairly new to cycling and I don’t want to burden her with carrying bags. I’m trying to cut down on both volume and weight of what I carry, and had wondered about lightweight inner tubes for emergencies. I know from another thread on this forum that Tubolitos are regarded with some scepticism, but they do seem to meet the low volume / light weight test.

Since they would be strictly for emergencies I’m not too worried about the price, and have no real interest in claimed performance benefits (I’m too slow to notice any gains). I also appreciate that two inner tubes aren’t exactly hideous loads, but for leisure cycling I prefer to travel light. I have an elephant bike for the days I have more to carry

Has anyone used these or alternatives as emergency spares?

thanks

Never heard of tubilitos but if an inner tube is classed as heavy...

Where do you keep the tubes ? If its in a saddle pack then you'd never notice. I do find putting each tube in a poly bag helps with squishing them in places. Slipper.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Never heard of tubilitos but if an inner tube is classed as heavy...

Where do you keep the tubes ? If its in a saddle pack then you'd never notice. I do find putting each tube in a poly bag helps with squishing them in places. Slipper.
Yeah, they aren’t actually heavy - but there are lighter and less bulky alternatives that I’m interested in.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've some 22g Tubolito S-Lite tubes but I'd not carry them round as a 'spare', particularly given the cost.

How about a Schwalbe SV - their extra-light smaller inner tube?

Reactions: Dwn

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Never heard of Tubolitos but as someone who packs everything needed for emergencies, including two tubes, in to a small under seat bag I'm intrigued as to why the OP needs to cut down.

Have you thought this through?

If you use one on a ride are you going to leave it in (and use what for a spare?) or repair the old one and replace when you get home? (A lot of hassle, no?)

Given you have two bikes are the tubes compatible with both?

As others have said, a saddle bag should be good for a couple of tubes. Wedged under a saddle works too - and you have two saddles!
Bottle cages are another way.

In any case, aren't the two of you planning on touring together? No harm to practice carrying a little gear.

Oh, no harm to practice changing tubes on the road! Especially in the dark!^_^

mattobrien

Guru
I tend to carry a couple of conti supersonic tubes, they weigh 50g each and fold up to be tiny, at least half the size of a normal tube. They’re about £12 each, so a lot less than Tubolito.

Reactions: Dwn

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I decided to Google Tubolite and now know they are latex tubes. I have friends who wax lyrically about latex tubes for racing and TT. I don't know anyone who uses them for social, day to day riding.

I'm someone who never quibbles over cost or price if I believe something will improve my experience. To my mind paying £25/30 to save 70g on social cycling, even touring, is bonkers. I'd draw the line on that one at about £5.

If it were me I'd consider drinking a couple of beers less each week. That would soon save 70g and a shed load of cash.

Tom B

Guru
Just get a small pouch and pack it with a tube, a couple of bottles of gas and some scabs and some small levers.

It's a bad day if i get 3 flats.

Attachments

• 1616791805538368356689169434330.jpg
    1616791805538368356689169434330.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom