Emma on Way to court

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have taxi & private hire drivers who have used similar arguments to those given above to keep driving. And these are people who drive for a living.

... and should be driving to a reasonable standard.

If they prove that they are unable to do so then that should they be driving the public around?

classic33

Leg End Member
She courted the limelight, but its gone sour on her.
What it comes down to is:
She broke the law, bragged about doing so, blamed the other party because she believed they had no right to be where she was. She got caught & the company she worked for didn't want the adverse publicity she'd gained them, suspended her.
She's only sorry that she got caught, nowt else. Can anyone on here confirm or deny that she has at any point enquired about how the person she ran off the road was.

... and should be driving to a reasonable standard.

If they prove that they are unable to do so then that should they be driving the public around?
Their local spokesman has over 46 points on his licence, and still drives for a living. Thats 46 points within the last two years! Objections against him holding a taxi licence have fallen on deaf ears.

We ought to wait for the outcome of the case, but I do think there is a little more lenience than once there was. I am not in favour of Draconian horridness, but there must be a case (if she's guilty) for imposing a punishment that continues to teach her a valuable lesson for years to come.

I was banned when still sixteen, for 'Driving while Disqualified by Virtue of Age' and for 'Driving with No Insurance'. No points in those days, but I had what we used to call "Two endorsemments". It was big poo for one so young.

The conviction was sound and the Juvenile Court took the right action. I was fined £25, which might not sound much, but I was a schoolboy and it was some time in the Edwardian era. I earned £5 an evening washing up in a steak house on Monday nights, so it was a fortune.

The real cost of my actions (I'd been on the road underage for several months before being caught) was that for the next five years I had to declare the ban and it pumped my premiums up. Quite right too. If Ms Way is found guilty, she ought to have a long-lasting reminder of her stupidity. It worked for me.

What I did was daft, dangerous and selfish. I was punished by the courts. I now have thirty accident-free, claim-free years behind me, but my past is not entirely blame-free. Out of interest, has anyone else on these pages lost their license?

(Although technically I didn't lose mine, as I'd never had one. I was asked why I hadn't brought it to court with me and had to explain that I was there for not having one).

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Not taken it personally...but i don't see how these cases you list have much to do with this one.

I get that driver ignorance and superiority complexes are a widely experienced mindset that public policy needs to address, however many vociferous people (not just cyclists) out there seem to be praying for an example to made of this young lady. What she's done is stupid (from start to finish) but she doesn't deserve to lose her job & this is one of many examples of young people not understanding the large catchment of the audience the internet provides and ending up under extreme scrutiny from a range of people who go from the rightly concerned to the bored and snide who want her to suffer as if she is not human.

How many points would she have got if that twitter pic of her doing 90 mph had been used as evidence to convict her of speeding? Knocking off the cyclist does not appear to have been an isolated incident (and bragging about it likewise).

Comparing this woman to drivers who kill cyclists/have 39 points/assault cyclists is ludicrous.

No wonder some drivers think some cyclists are idiots.

... or unable to read the written word?

No-one compared her in the way you claim, and I would love to see how you came to that conclusion.

My entire post was about the attitude that drivers "need to drive" exceeds the right of other road users to have those who have proven that they are unable or willing to drive safely and legally removed from the road

Not taken it personally...but i don't see how these cases you list have much to do with this one.

I get that driver ignorance and superiority complexes are a widely experienced mindset that public policy needs to address, however many vociferous people (not just cyclists) out there seem to be praying for an example to made of this young lady. What she's done is stupid (from start to finish) but she doesn't deserve to lose her job & this is one of many examples of young people not understanding the large catchment of the audience the internet provides and ending up under extreme scrutiny from a range of people who go from the rightly concerned to the bored and snide who want her to suffer as if she is not human.

If she loses her job it is because she has shown irrefutably that she has not lived up to the standards required for that profession.

livpoksoc

Guru
How many points would she have got if that twitter pic of her doing 90 mph had been used as evidence to convict her of speeding? Knocking off the cyclist does not appear to have been an isolated incident (and bragging about it likewise).

I'm unaware of such a picture. Has she tweeted a pic of her doing 90? If so then it portrays a different picture to a one off incident & shows callousness not only to other road users but also to the law & I may retract previous comments...either way this is one of many examples of people not understanding the gravity of bragging on the internet. Previously being naughty may have been a schoolyard accolade...now a lot of young people are finding out that the watching world is full of people willing to unpick every fibre of humanity in someone for one or two flaws. The degrading treatment that comes with the attention outweighs the original action & whilst justice may be done in this instance, the mob will still control her life until the next idiot comes along. Thankfully for her, there seems to be an abundant supply of them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
... or unable to read the written word?

No-one compared her in the way you claim, and I would love to see how you came to that conclusion.

My entire post was about the attitude that drivers "need to drive" exceeds the right of other road users to have those who have proven that they are unable or willing to drive safely and legally removed from the road

OK, you - and others' - blathering on in a thread about Ms Way about killer drivers, drivers who assault cyclists and drivers who work the system is not, in any way, comparing Ms Way to those drivers.

So presumably your remark (above) about drivers with an attitude of needing to drive is also not about Ms Way.

Probably just as well because for all we know she may have an impeccable driving record.

Stupid remarks on twitter doth not a poor driver make.

At last you have read what is written.

If I want to refer to her, then I will do so using her name, but if as above I speak generically then I will also do so and use terms like "drivers" and "someone who has points on their licence" and "there are over 8,000 drivers with more than 12 points".

As for Ms Way possibly having an impeccable driving record (you see how it works - I have used her name)....................We can only really rely on the evidence of her own testimony...... and it would appear to be far from impeccable. Unless using a mobile phone to record your speedometer whilst driving at 95 mph is a new concept of good driving technique I am unaware of?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
At last you have read what is written.

If I want to refer to her, then I will do so using her name, but if as above I speak generically then I will also do so and use terms like "drivers" and "someone who has points on their licence" and "there are over 8,000 drivers with more than 12 points".

As for Ms Way possibly having an impeccable driving record (you see how it works - I have used her name)....................We can only really rely on the evidence of her own testimony...... and it would appear to be far from impeccable. Unless using a mobile phone to record your speedometer whilst driving at 95 mph is a new concept of good driving technique I am unaware of?

Generically speaking, I agree with your remarks about drivers who flout the law.

Still can't quite grasp what they are doing in this thread, but I will put that down to your superior intellect.

As for Ms Way's tweet of a car speedo, well, what does it amount to - a silly boast from a silly girl.

And of course neither I, not anyone who posts on here, have ever driven faster than 70mph.

Dragging this back on topic....

That tweet pic will not get her convicted of speeding, just as the tweet about the cyclist will not - on its own - get her convicted of careless driving.

Add the 'racing' cyclists occupying much of the road, the low-level of the incident generally, and you can see why she's pleaded not guilty.

So would I.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I was sure there must be a sensible resolution between 'leave the poor girl alone' and 'hang her from the neck until dead' and as ever, Boris found it.

Generically speaking, I agree with your remarks about drivers who flout the law.

Still can't quite grasp what they are doing in this thread, but I will put that down to your superior intellect.

As for Ms Way's tweet of a car speedo, well, what does it amount to - a silly boast from a silly girl.

And of course neither I, not anyone who posts on here, have ever driven faster than 70mph.

Dragging this back on topic....

That tweet pic will not get her convicted of speeding, just as the tweet about the cyclist will not - on its own - get her convicted of careless driving.

Add the 'racing' cyclists occupying much of the road, the low-level of the incident generally, and you can see why she's pleaded not guilty.

So would I.

All of which is really rather irrelevant to the fact that she faces charges of 'failing to stop" and "failing to report"

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All of which is really rather irrelevant to the fact that she faces charges of 'failing to stop" and "failing to report"

'Failing to stop' may be a difficult one to defend in this case, but evidence of bad driving is an aggravating feature of a failing to stop offence.

Thus if Ms Way can get not guilty on careless, she will get a lighter sentence on the failing to stop.

Failing to stop carries a possible prison sentence (careless does not), so she will be keen to water down the failing to stop as much as possible.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
'Failing to stop' may be a difficult one to defend in this case, but evidence of bad driving is an aggravating feature of a failing to stop offence.

Thus if Ms Way can get not guilty on careless, she will get a lighter sentence on the failing to stop.

Failing to stop carries a possible prison sentence (careless does not), so she will be keen to water down the failing to stop as much as possible.

How is it possible to water down failing to stop? You either stopped or you didn't? (This is a genuine question by the way not a snarky comment)

Top Bottom