Emma on Way to court

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
2604771 said:
Doesn't sound too promising then.

I have no idea. What I find odd is that she has decided to plead not guilty and go for a hearing. If she had pleaded guilty, taken what ever was going to be dealt with, this would be over for her now. As it is she has got the stress of the case hanging over he for another three months, at the risk of having a heftier punishment if she is found guilty in November.

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe she's hoping this one http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-emma-way.136684/ will get to court earlier/before hers.

I might have this wrong, but if memory serves me right the cyclist did not not know who the car driver was, or what the car was, until the silly girl blurted the news all over twitter. Only then was he able to report that it was he who was hit by the car.

The version I understood was that it was not reported because of insufficient information about the car, such as registration number

Once Emma helpfully put herself in the frame for it, and her vehicle fitted the details and the driver description fitted he then went to Police and reported.

Interesting one from the US about the efect of Twitter

(... and before anyone complains - this is a generic comment, I am well aware that Emma Way disd not kill anyone)

Comments made on social media are increasingly being used as evidence in criminal cases, say lawyers.
The revelation came as a teenager in the US was believed to have become the first person charged with murder because of his tweets.
Cody Hall had been charged with manslaughter after knocking over and killing a cyclist while driving.
But, after finding the 18-year-old boasted months earlier about speeding on his Twitter feed, prosecutors in California increased the charges to murder and revoked his bail.
Hall, 18, had tweeted: ‘Live fast die young’ and ‘come on a death ride with me’ in messages long before he collided with 58-year-old Diana Hersevoort in Dublin, California.
It will now be down to a jury to decide whether Hall’s tweets expressed intent to commit murder

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
We are not seen by many as actual, legal road users, and because of that their responsibilities towards us are lower. This case has the power to change that though.
Indeed; a very important point. A relativley stiff sentence would be in society's best interests.

classic33

Leg End Member
Indeed; a very important point. A relativley stiff sentence would be in society's best interests.
Doesn't have to be a stiff sentence to be in society's best interests. The judge can make it clear that this type of behaviour could have led to another person becoming just another number in the casualties on British roads. That the only remorse she has shown, since the incident took place has been for herself & how much she has lost as a result of her actions. For that, and that alone she's sorry.

The family of the person she hit could have been without a family member that day and she's only bothered about her losses & for getting caught.

Can anyone say if they have seen anything, where she's asked after/about the person she hit & how they are as a result of what she did to them?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
My prediction: Simon Nicholls has spotted a failure on the part of police or CPS to adhere to correct procedures and will apply successfully for a dismissal, but only after allowing this case to reach court in November, in order to cause maximum embarrassment and reluctance to pursue any similar case in future.

classic33

Leg End Member
If the trial is in a magistrates court then the 'adverse publicity' argument will fail. Magistrates and DJs are considered perfectly capable of putting such things from their minds.
Just giving my "verdict" before the case even gets to court.

This whole thing has been blown up out of all proportion.

She seems a sweet girl and was full of contrition for the unwise use of Twitter. She is now being hounded by a cruel and merciless public and a militant group of cyclists for (in effect) confessing on the only medium on which she was comfortable to coming into contact with a cyclist.

As we are all aware, these racing cyclist hurtle at beakneck speeds (even the adjective causes me concern) through roads that are for the use of everyone, not just those with a passion for racing and taking risks.

There, on these roads, startled by racers whipping past her at absurd speeds, was our sweet, young and impressionable Tweeter. One of the cyclists clipped her mirror. Outrageous, but she appears (from her confessional Tweet) to have forgiven him.

For doing nothing more scandalous than Tweeting a confession, she now stands to lose he job, her career, her freedom and perhaps even her Starbucks loyalty card.

Give the girl (sweet girl) a break.

Top Bottom