Emma Raducanu, are we ready ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
6D67B313-0361-4C25-A6AC-1A29A7E711D9.jpeg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If writers only write what the readers want to read... doesn't say much about the value of what's written.

It will never be possible to appeal to everyone, but it's not just people of low character or intellect who like red carpet stories.

I expect even some high minded professionals such as architects like looking at the celeb pics - in between catching up on their latest copy of Architects' Journal.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
True, but I wasn't thinking about red carpet stories... more about stories being used to reinforce readers' prejudices or to manipulate their emotional response.

I used to read Building Design when it was free to the end user but once they started charging for it both that and the AJ were cancelled as they got to be a bit too expensive and they were mainly vanity projects and linked adverts anyway!

I make do with the RIBAJ which is a nice mix of CPD, housing and public buildings.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why fat, middle aged and men? Maybe we should get rid of them. Do only women of colour face criticisms for their temperament.

We really need to address virtue signalling sooner rather than later. We cannot be shallow to please others or toe some imaginary line. We should go back to basics and assign values to people without taking into account their race, colour, creed, religion or their physical attributes.

If someone is an Axxxxxole, call it out. Don't worry about their background. Time to grow a pair and be honest with our opinions, good or bad.

Yes women of colour do receive disproportionate amounts of criticism for their mannerisms.

Once you actually see it, it's hard not to see it, anymore.

Please don't make white middle aged men out to be the victims in all this, as if someone is trying to 'eradicate them'

They, like just need to understand their place in the 'hierachy'.

That their opinions, thoughts, needs, or desires are no less, but also no more important than anyone elses .

There's still a lot of levelling up to do in these arenas .

I don't think Jim was virtue signalling or being shallow, that's not his gig at all

He was pointing out an inequality that he, and many others have noticed exists.

If we really want to go 'back to basics' there's a massively long list of @rsholery for which I'd like to hold certain people to account for .

Shall I start now.??

P.s also who gets to define 'values'??

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Yes women of colour do receive disproportionate amounts of criticism for their mannerisms.

Once you actually see it, it's hard not to see it, anymore.

Please don't make white middle aged men out to be the victims in all this, as if someone is trying to 'eradicate them'

They, like just need to understand their place in the 'hierachy'.

That their opinions, thoughts, needs, or desires are no less, but also no more important than anyone elses .

There's still a lot of levelling up to do in these arenas .

I don't think Jim was virtue signalling or being shallow, that's not his gig at all

He was pointing out an inequality that he, and many others have noticed exists.

If we really want to go 'back to basics' there's a massively long list of @rsholery for which I'd like to hold certain people to account for .

Shall I start now.??

P.s also who gets to define 'values'??
I accept that there will be always be a segment in any demographics that stereotype people based on colour, race , gender etc etc. Just do not end up doing the same.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I accept that there will be always be a segment in any demographics that stereotype people based on colour, race , gender etc etc. Just do not end up doing the same.

Well that would be jolly nice, if those currently holding most of the cards, vis a vis language, who gets to use it and how - agreed to do same..

I've had enough contact with the supposed 'charms' of the smooth talking establishment to see the games they play.

Even the language advantage they hold.

Describing certain people as

"Strident, angry, exotic , over emotional , getting ideas , hysterical, or like a diva ...etc etc "

If they're 'too much' for the onlooker.

As regards "What we'd like to see "

ie "Humble" "Sweet and smiley" "Such a lovely girl"

It's a common enough ploy, when trying to get people who have other ideas, to shush down, via the medium of 'tone policing'

Easily distracts from the actual material being discussed.

So no wonder it's a method often used I suppose

And then suddenly being deeply concerned about derogatory word usage when it concerns the attitudes of a certain subset of the population, many of whom happen to have a florid complexion .

Which annoyingly seemed to catch the mood, sum things up, skewer the situation even, I guess that was the problem

But making out that it was suddenly pink people being 'racist' about other pink people.

:rolleyes:

Yes !

I know, Laughable !?!?

- except some people really do think tha's 'a thing' !?!?!

But previous to that.

Funnily enough, I dont recall seeing any of them saying, oh you really mustn't use any of the other negative terms, above.

It was all

"Oh it's all PC gawn mad"

"You can't say anything these days"

But now the boots on the other foot , so to say

There's a sudden outbreak of squeamishness around language.

And everyone must play nice..

It's so transparent , isn't it ?? :whistle:

Same old same old double standards.

Brandane

Legendary Member
And so another perfectly innocent thread, in this case about a tennis player, ends up being a soapbox. Well done.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Where are all the fat and ugly opinionated middle aged men? I didn't see them in the photographs, were they not invited?
But seriously, it is interesting that the worlds media was only interested in the stunningly fit and beautiful people. I wonder though, were the fat ugly people (women as well) in the smoke filled backrooms doing the deals that mean the beautiful people can be paid the eye watering sums of money involved?

Drago

Legendary Member
Particularly as Ms Raducanu herself quickly shuts down all talk of her heritage, and insists that she is simply British and proud to be so.

She clearly has no issues around ethnicity and the like, so its wrong that others should try and impose their own view of reality upon her.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
She has sacked her coach.
Probably a sensible move as he doesn’t have top level experience, but ruthless non the less.

Top Bottom