Emma Raducanu, are we ready ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Poor girl. Sorry, poor female teenager.

I'm in awe of her achievement, and I wish her the very best.

But we should bear in mind that she played her way through the rounds of the US Open under zero pressure, as a qualifier, and clearly enjoyed every minute of it.

It will be the polar opposite in her next Grand Slam tournament. I only hope, for her sake, that she has the inner strength to withstand all the cr*p that's going to be loaded on her next time she steps onto the court.

Milzy

Guru
Poor girl. Sorry, poor female teenager.

I'm in awe of her achievement, and I wish her the very best.

But we should bear in mind that she played her way through the rounds of the US Open under zero pressure, as a qualifier, and clearly enjoyed every minute of it.

It will be the polar opposite in her next Grand Slam tournament. I only hope, for her sake, that she has the inner strength to withstand all the cr*p that's going to be loaded on her next time she steps onto the court.
I’m sure she’ll be fine. She could retire now & be set up for life. Wait until she moves to Monaco or some other tax haven & gets abuse from the jealous Brits.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

the nationality is essentially a formality for identity and affiliation to an appropriate national association. Davis Cup and the Olympics is for the country.

I am not so sure. Formality or not, I think some are proud where they come from. And that is what makes us human. In her case, she talks about the letter from the Queen, her Romanian and Chinese heritage.

Notice the Ryder Cup where the competition and rivalry is fierce. Most of them are millionaires and compete as individuals yet they demand to be selected out of a sense of pride and association. Same with Basketball in the Olympics. Decades later there is a bad blood over non selection to represent the nation and the money involved is vending machine change.

Like the doubles tennis? Mixed nationalities there. Club football teams are generally mixed too.

In these kind of events they are competing for themselves - the nationality is essentially a formality for identity and affiliation to an appropriate national association. Davis Cup and the Olympics is for the country.

And the World Cup in rugby, cricket and football, the European Cup etc., etc.

In club sports people represent their clubs, in international sports they represent their countries. Nothing wrong with either of those

PaulB

Legendary Member

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In other Emma news, she's begun the transition from the sports to the showbiz pages with an appearance at the Met Gala.

Not an event I'm familiar with, but it appears many of the celebs wear specially designed outfits rather than evening dresses.

Some are quite spectacular, not to mention weird - a Kardashian dressed head to toe in grey.

Pleased to see Blondie singer Debbie Harry is still out and about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58553594

The Met Gala kept an emergency ticket for her. She wore Channel.

GettyImages-1235241412.jpg

unnamed.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
It is nice to see Raducanu, Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, all of whom have faced criticism for their temperament, absolutely dazzling it at the Met Gala. Where are all the fat and ugly opinionated middle aged men? I didn't see them in the photographs, were they not invited?

It is nice to see Raducanu, Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, all of whom have faced criticism for their temperament, absolutely dazzling it at the Met Gala. Where are all the fat and ugly opinionated middle aged men? I didn't see them in the photographs, were they not invited?
I very much doubt that Serena Williams needs you to stand up for her. You do write some funny things sometimes :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I thought this was a perceptive article.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/14/emma-raducanu-famous-teenage-girls-young-women

Can very much identify with the stuff about teenaged or even older women having all sorts of attributes, virtues, hopes and dreams attached to them, and their progress, by observers looking on.

Only to then often be castigated for not 'living up' to all the fantasies projected on to them.

I think as young women become more savvy to this process..

And they are generally far more wise to it nowadays - they'll be able to say.

"Nah, sorry that's about you, not me"

You are not going to see photos of fat, ugly, middle-aged men in any publicity for the Met Gala. Nor fat, ugly middle-aged women for that matter. It is organised by Anna Wintour and I doubt that she worries if people are opinionated at all as long as they look good.

Money, success and style will get you in.

Top Bottom