Emma Raducanu, are we ready ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
FFS.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is this aimed at my reporting of a post? If so, why? This is a thread about Emma Raducanu and her recent achievement. And you presumably think it is fine for us to sit back while it gets hijacked just like most threads across this forum, by those with a political agenda? I thought the rules were fairly clear on that now; political discussions should be done on the newly formed site. End of. If you want to discuss political matters, that is where it should take place. Don't like it; you know what to do!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is this aimed at my reporting of a post? If so, why? This is a thread about Emma Raducanu and her recent achievement. And you presumably think it is fine for us to sit back while it gets hijacked just like most threads across this forum, by those with a political agenda? I thought the rules were fairly clear on that now; political discussions should be done on the newly formed site. End of. If you want to discuss political matters, that is where it should take place. Don't like it; you know what to do!
For the sake of clarity I would like to point out that my current avatar of a jolly fellow riding a unicorn is unashamedly political.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You of all people should know to show her a little respect. She is an adult woman.

If I'd referred to her as a girl you'd be leading the calls to have me burned at the stake for a mysoginistic attitude.

Whooosh :smile:

Yes and using 'feisty' and there being something 'wrong' with females being 'opininated' also comes up as a fairly regular sexist trope too, doesn't it .??

I'd never do such a thing anyhows..

Think of the amount of wood required to effect such a conflagration.!!

Not to mention the overall loss to comedy ;)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
For the sake of clarity I would like to point out that my current avatar of a jolly fellow riding a unicorn is unashamedly political.
Political of all the stripes.

🌈🦙🍅🐬🎶💃🌈

As is my aubergine.. 🍆🍆🍆🍆

I'll work out quite how later.

But I'm sure I can come up with something .:okay:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The problem is that Raducanu winning is certainly news, when that is commented on by Johnson, Starmer, HRH, whoever, it becomes political. Whether you believe praise from certain quarters is good, bad or indifferent is political, and if, for example, only posts which say getting praise from Queenie is great are permitted, the whole site becomes biased politically.
It could be very difficult to police what is an acceptable level of politics and what isn't.

BTW, Raducanu's achievement is awesome, utterly awesome, no matter who she gets a letter off.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd call her a female. Scientific, and doesn't usually upset anyone :whistle:

I'd call her 'Emma' personally , seems a bit more friendly on balance :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
It could be very difficult to police what is an acceptable level of politics and what isn't.
That is true, and obviously for the mods to decide. But the post I reported had nothing to do with Raducanu and her message from HRH.. It was nothing other than a person spouting his own personal views of the royal family in general. Completely irrelevant and unnecessary (the comment that is; before some clever person points out some possible irony here!).

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That is true, and obviously for the mods to decide. But the post I reported had nothing to do with Raducanu and her message from HRH.. It was nothing other than a person spouting his own personal views of the royal family in general. Completely irrelevant and unnecessary (the comment that is; before some clever person points out some possible irony here!).
The issue is, possibly depending on where you sit, that other comments which reveal a person's personal views of the Royal family remain.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Until we are introduced, then unless I assume a role such as her teacher I shall go with Ms Radacanu for any personal interaction.
If I am adjudicating at the Aus. Open, I shall adhere to their style guide :angel:

That's probs the safest option.:okay:

I was thinking on a more informal, over tea and buns, type situation really .

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The issue is, possibly depending on where you sit, that other comments which reveal a person's personal views of the Royal family remain.

For what it's worth, I responded to the deleted anti-monarchy post, but deliberately didn't quote it because I thought it broke all manner of rules and would likely be deleted.

When it was deleted, my semi standalone comment looked fully standalone.

Still, it later gave me the chance to post the BBC vid of Emma looking the part in her evening/party dress, holding the trophy, and speaking remarkably well as always.

God Save the Queen and god bless Emma.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Emma moved, with her parents, to the UK at the age of two and has lived here since.

By that measure she it was more British than other celebrated winners such as Chris Froome and Mo Farah.

Well done to her and long may her success last.
Mo Farah came to the UK aged 8. OK, six years older than Emma, but still very young, and not in anything like the same timescales as Chris Froome.

Top Bottom