Emulsion paint gone off?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I touched up a wall in spare room today (to cover up the footprints where the cat climbs off the window sill) with the leftover paint that was originally used and the room now stinks of what can only be described as sour milk!!! xx( Google suggests that the paint had probably gone off!! It didn't smell particularly bad when applying, like paint really. It had separated and a good stir was needed.

Who has had this before? I've opened the windows and stuck some pot pourri in there. Google suggests it might improve once dried but that white vinegar or onions in water might work

Any other ideas please. I'm off on holiday soon so redecoration is not an option! (and I'm trying to sell the house, hence the painting)

Last time I do any bloody DIY!!!! :wacko: FWIW it does look better :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
Emulsion can go funny. The water separates,, stagnates and goes whiffy.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Rub it down then apply a sealer before emulsioning again.
No time I’m afraid!

It was a mixed colour so no chance of matching, I’d rather not have to get the whole room redone (and I can’t before Friday anyhow)

Looks like I might have to stock up quickly on candles, onions and vinegar!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Next job, all old open paint to tip ASAP! Luckily I didn’t get any further with the touching up!!

NickNick

Depending on how much time you have to play with I would give it 48h with plenty of ventilation but without using anything to mask the smell. Hopefully by that point smell will be gone or at least on its own way to being gone. If by the end of the 48h it's not gone, or not going quickly enough to fit your timetable, then I'd sand down all of the area with the guilty emulsion making sure there is none left then repaint.

If you need the smell gone more urgently you might want to bite the bullet and just remove it and start again.

I've not had personal experience of such instances as I'm very picky with what paint I will use (regularly get asked if I can use stuff clients have had sat in a shed for a decade, but won't this being one of the reasons), but I'm pretty sure the smell will go after a while, just not sure how long.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks @NickNick

If I'd known this could happen, I wouldn't have started. I go away on Friday and am working full time until then :sad:

Luckily it was a fairly small area painted although the wall does smell! :wacko:

Top Bottom