Emulsion paint gone off?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I didn't think there was oil in emulsion, is it not a water based paint?

I used to know all this stuff but I've forgotten most of it. I seem to recall that even water based emulsions have resins to help bind the pigments to the carrier (water) and these are what bacteria feed on. The manufacturers used to put bacteriological inhibitors into the mix to stop this but EU regulations limiting the use of volatiles which harm the environment outlawed that practice.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to know all this stuff but I've forgotten most of it. I seem to recall that even water based emulsions have resins to help bind the pigments to the carrier (water) and these are what bacteria feed on. The manufacturers used to put bacteriological inhibitors into the mix to stop this but EU regulations limiting the use of volatiles which harm the environment outlawed that practice.
Damn those meddling Euro greenies ;)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s more a sour milk than rotten egg smell

I’ll pop to Tesco after work and get vinegar, bicarbonate, candles, onions and matches!

It’s getting pretty nippy with the windows open!

Adam4868

Guru
It’s more a sour milk than rotten egg smell

I’ll pop to Tesco after work and get vinegar, bicarbonate, candles, onions and matches!

It’s getting pretty nippy with the windows open!
Whilst your in there get a bottle of red wine,that will help.

PK99

Legendary Member
No time I’m afraid!

It was a mixed colour so no chance of matching, I’d rather not have to get the whole room redone (and I can’t before Friday anyhow)

Looks like I might have to stock up quickly on candles, onions and vinegar!

I swear by Price's odour eliminating scented candles. They do a range of flavours: Cook's candle for kitchens, a poncy red one, and my fave Open Window.

Available from (you guessed it!) your friendly local waitrose. Somehow does a great job of masking but not imposing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There is such a wide variety of formulations possible for paint, you can have anything from Little Greene, the best paint with amazing opacity and coverage to the cheapest DIY shed garbage, which is the Euro-lager of the paint world. Cheap paint won't have enough biocide and in any case the biocide will degrade with time, then bacteria will thrive in the emulsion like they do in cheap body cream.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I swear by Price's odour eliminating scented candles. They do a range of flavours: Cook's candle for kitchens, a poncy red one, and my fave Open Window.

Available from (you guessed it!) your friendly local waitrose. Somehow does a great job of masking but not imposing.
May have to go to your local friendly Waitrose...although they hopefully have their coffee machine working now!

I do have some scented candles, but nothing as yet to light one with (I thought I had a lighter somewhere from my long finished smoking days but can't find it)

Globalti

Legendary Member

Fake news I'm afraid. Biocides are nothing at all to do with VOCs which are Volatile Organic Compounds. Biocides are not banned but they degrade over time and lose effectiveness, especially if the formulation begins to break down after time or freezing in a cold shed.

Top Bottom