Emulsion paint gone off?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think I have one. Heating on now, freezing with the windows open all afternoon!

gbb

Legendary Member
Amazing...this happened to me on Saturday evening. I'd promised to touch up a wall for a relative with some leftover emulsion ....euggh. it had separated and while the colour came as I stirred it, it was too thin and smelled a bit off. I used it and it needed 2 coats minimum but it was just a touch up.
Never had it before and it wasnt cheap brand paint either...or left outside etc etc. Ah well...in the bin with the rest of it.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Fake news I'm afraid. Biocides are nothing at all to do with VOCs which are Volatile Organic Compounds. Biocides are not banned but they degrade over time and lose effectiveness, especially if the formulation begins to break down after time or freezing in a cold shed.

Possibly. I'm just going by what the chemists at PPG in Birstall told me during training. They referred to EU regulations changing in 2012 which had led to a reformulation of a lot of products, a side-effect of which was increased customer complaints due to bacterial growth in paints which had previously been inhibited. I'm probably getting that mixed in with the VOC regs which changed around the same time.

Bicarbonate..check
White vinegar...check
vinegar and bicarb? Are you making a rocket?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Possibly. I'm just going by what the chemists at PPG in Birstall told me during training. They referred to EU regulations changing in 2012 which had led to a reformulation of a lot of products, a side-effect of which was increased customer complaints due to bacterial growth in paints which had previously been inhibited. I'm probably getting that mixed in with the VOC regs which changed around the same time.

More likely, more paints being water-based there is greater opportunity for bacteria to thrive as they love a gooey watery environment.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A lot of water-based paints smell. It's due to a change in the chemicals used to make them more environment friendly.

You have to allow time for the paint to dry properly usually about a week.

Top Bottom