Emulsion paint gone off?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Aye, it will. Oh well, a good excuse to buy a bunch of lilies ^_^
No lilies possible, very toxic to cats :sad: (and they stink)

NickNick

I'm tempted to try the vinegar and bicarb of soda tricks

If there's still a noticeable smell once its completely dry that might be worth a try, I know vinegar can be quite effective at removing sulphurous smells in other settings so could work here. I would guess is the root cause of the problem is anaerobic bacteria in the split out water and they do tend to release sulphurous (rotting egg smell) waste.

The only thing I would caution is a) make sure you use a clear/white vinegar b) just bare in mind that emulsions can be prone to washing away with even fairly minor levels of scrubbing (big variation from brand to brand/different quality paint). This is particularly a problem with recently painted areas as although emulsion is usually dry in 2-3h (much faster than oil based paints), it takes best part of a month to cure (much slower than oil based paints due to how they dry out) and reach its full hardness.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks again

To be honest, I'm not going to be able to do anything much before I go away. I'll just have to hope the smell resolves. It's very cold with the windows open but I'll live! Luckily I can be here the next couple of days with the windows open...or would the smell go quicker if the room was warm (paint dries better?)

This is Dulux paint

I'll leave it overnight with the windows open and hope :smile:

green1

Über Member
Take the old paint and get it colour matched, sand the touch ups to remove smell then repaint with new paint.

pawl

Legendary Member
Next job, all old open paint to tip ASAP! Luckily I didn’t get any further with the touching up!!

Round my neck of the woods you have to pay and obtain a certificate to dump cans of paint.I mix left over paint with cement,when set brake it up into small lumps and put it in the bin.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Take the old paint and get it colour matched, sand the touch ups to remove smell then repaint with new paint.
Thanks, might have to do that in the future! It wasn’t just touch up, much of a wall below window. Grubby footed cat had walked down some of it and I thought I’d do the whole area :rolleyes:

Hopefully it’ll dissipate in a few days

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Round my neck of the woods you have to pay and obtain a certificate to dump cans of paint.I mix left over paint with cement,when set brake it up into small lumps and put it in the bin.
Paint - you can recycle empty metal pots at the Reuse and Recycling Centre. You can put left over water based paint in your rubbish bin - open the lid and leave it to harden, then reseal and bin.

Top Bottom