End of the Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
:ohmy:

Drago

Legendary Member
Its aleays been over priced. Back in it's heydey it had little direct competition so the market would bear the unjustifiably imflated price, but now there are better spec'd, better riding bikes for less monoey all over the place.

They've milked the name for all it's worth while doing little to invest in the models future or move with the times as the market changes, so I actuslly have little sympathy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
1605027505768.png

All uphill

Still rolling along
A very familiar story. Complacency and uncompetitive pricing over years and years and another great name disappears.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My 1997 the actual weight of a small galaxy, much loved beast of bourdon (Bob) & now used mainly as my winter bike, gets the calf muscles toned with the weight, though with the low gears could get up anything... eventually... Even if I might not be able to :smile:
IMG_20201112_181800.jpg

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You can still buy them and cheap enough to get everyday

Galaxy_110g_Milk_Chocolate_53492.jpg

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Back in the earlier days of the CC Forum, we did a East Yorks / York meet up ride and ended up I think in Pocklington, there's a lovely photo of '5 Galaxies' of varying ages and styles together. Even the legend that is @Shaun was on the ride and amused us all by turning the Forum on and off with his phone ;)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
That's a shame. It's one of the few vintage bikes I'd heard of. OH has one in the garage from about 1983. Untouched for about 25 years. I was thinking of getting him the bits to refurb it as a surprise for his birthday. What wheel size are they? Any suggestions for tyres?

Cymro74

Must admit that the cost of a Galaxy made me choose my Spa Tourer instead. Even including the dynamo lighting it was cheaper. Spa also let me tailor things like the gearing, so the decision of which bike to go for was easy.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's a shame. It's one of the few vintage bikes I'd heard of. OH has one in the garage from about 1983. Untouched for about 25 years. I was thinking of getting him the bits to refurb it as a surprise for his birthday. What wheel size are they? Any suggestions for tyres?
83 could be either 27" or 700c, that's roughly when the transition started although 'trad' tourists always preferred 27" as the new size was for 'racers'

Top Bottom