End of the Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think it was ( one of the) your husbands galaxy in the group of 5 I mentioned?
I did wonder if we were there! I was super pregnant...we had the baby four days later! Do you still have that photo?

johnnyb47

Guru
Back in the 80s a friend who introduced me to time trail road races used to do his 10 mile TT on a Dawes Galaxy.
Considering it was a touring bike, he used to get some good times on it.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
yes [see below] I remember thinking you were the most pregnant i'd ever seen anyone on abike - i was the one talking about 'twins' [middle of the photo]

According to the photo it was @Shaun birthday ...
Also with
@HelenD123,
@spandex
@Arch

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wow, that’s a shock and sad. @Rickshaw Phil have you seen this :sad:
I hadn't 'til now but thought something was up when I looked at their website recently and couldn't find any touring models. It seems to me as though they've tried to reinvent the range annually for the last few years. I'm not sure that's the way to sell them to touring riders who are looking for a bike to do a job well, not to have whatever this years fashionable frame shape is. Genesis, Ridgeback, Spa and Thorn all seem to get that.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think the rot set in once they stopped building lugged 531 Galaxy frames with horizontal top tubes. The same can be said for the Raleigh Royal/Randonneur. A large part of the touring market is ultra-conservative and lugged lightweight steel is what those buyers wanted. By attempting to force the buyers into adopting a new style of bike they didn't particularly want, all the manufacturers achieved is to put those customers off buying any kind of bike from them. All that will happen is those customers will occasionally purchase a new wheelset and replace some worn drivetrain parts, and simply keep using their old 531 frames, which are not going to wear out.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Small diameter tubes make a compact frame look ridiculous.

They look ridiculous anyway, irrespective of the type of tubing used. Conventional sizing was essentially based on minimum acceptable bar height and maximum comfortable standover height - and it worked perfectly so long as the size increments offered by the maker weren't too coarse. High quality frames generally came in inch increments from about 21" to 25" in mens versions, and they would fit 99% of riders well enough.
The only real justification for compacts is wide rider size coverage with only a few frame sizes, but that doesn't hold any water if the manufacturer offers frames in small 2cm increments. They might as well just revert to horizontal top tubes and full sized frames.
All they have achieved is reduced space to store water bottles and pumps within the frame triangle, in addition to making bikes look ugly.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
They look ridiculous anyway, irrespective of the type of tubing used. Conventional sizing was essentially based on minimum acceptable bar height and maximum comfortable standover height - and it worked perfectly so long as the size increments offered by the maker weren't too coarse. High quality frames generally came in inch increments from about 21" to 25" in mens versions, and they would fit 99% of riders well enough.
The only real justification for compacts is wide rider size coverage with only a few frame sizes, but that doesn't hold any water if the manufacturer offers frames in small 2cm increments. They might as well just revert to horizontal top tubes and full sized frames.
All they have achieved is reduced space to store water bottles and pumps within the frame triangle, in addition to making bikes look ugly.
I literally don’t understand a word of this! I admire people who know stuff like this but I’m just bothered if the bike is comfy and if I like it enough to give it a name!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I literally don’t understand a word of this! I admire people who know stuff like this but I’m just bothered if the bike is comfy and if I like it enough to give it a name!

Compact geometry frame = abnormally small for the size of rider, sloping top tube, loads of seatpost sticking out. Like where a kid has outgrown a bike but is trying to get another year out of it by using an extra long seatpost and the saddle set really high.

Top Bottom