Endomondo being terminated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all
Just had an email from Under Armour saying that they are going to terminate Endomondo at the end of the year

For those that don't know - it is a fitness and tracking app - like a version of Strava - a bit
I started using it because they had a challenge a couple of years ago - ride 500 miles in July - which is what got me back into regular cycling

anyway - its stopping - they have a deal with Map My Ride where they will transfer all the data over - so that is the obvious choice
or - just stuff it and use Strava like everyone else

BUT - and here is the reason for the post
I can't because my phone runs Android 5 and can't be updated any further (thanks Samsung!!) and neither app will run on it
and don't say 'update you phone' 'cos I've only just finished paying for it and I don't really use it for much other than WWW, Endomondo and phone calls so spending hundreds just to track cycle rides would be excessive

anyway - question
anyone got any recommendations for good ride tracking apps (free) for an old cyclist who just wants to wander around the area most days - not bothered about anything involving words like 'training' or targets - just track the ride
either an app - or even a cheap dedicated device - by cheap I mean cheap ish one off cost - not a subscription that looks cheap but costs loads per year!

Thanks

straas

Matt
Android 5 is quite old - I'm not sure if any of the current apps will be compatible. Which phone is it?

You can pick up a basic G series moto phone for around £100 if nothing else works

OP
OP
E
Wow, just finished paying for a phone running Android Lollipop. How long did that take?
I think it was only about 3 years
I am reluctant to dump a 3 year old phone just to get a cycle tracker working when I'm not some sort of fitness fanatic and only want the mileage and route
Thing it is was the smallest phone I could get on my contract - didn't think to check what version it runs at the time - or whether or not it could be upgraded!

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it was only about 3 years
I am reluctant to dump a 3 year old phone just to get a cycle tracker working when I'm not some sort of fitness fanatic and only want the mileage and route
Thing it is was the smallest phone I could get on my contract - didn't think to check what version it runs at the time - or whether or not it could be upgraded!
Strava if it's supported, but you might need to pay for premium for tracks (£49 a year)

OP
OP
E
I would - but it is not supported - hence the problem
I have tried this before - mostly because it allows you to specify that you are using an ebike - so you don't accidentally beat someone who is trying really hard to be the best up the hill

but it won't - so I can't!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I like AAT which says it runs on Android 4 or later. https://bailu.ch/aat/

OP
OP
E
OK - something changed last night

Previously I have tried to get Strava to work and it never has
actually downloads and installs but won't run - either refused to let me log in despite using the correct password
or just plain refused to connect to the gps (although that was a long time ago before the login problems

I assumed that was due to the version difference - other trackers have moaned about the gps on old versions so.......

anyway - I decided to try it again last night
and the damn thing works fine

so I am going to use that at least for now - mainly because it allows me to specify I am using an ebike - which is good

although I may try some of the others mentioned above

thanks for all the ideas

OP
OP
E
What type of phone is it? If you root it you may be able to install a more up to date custom ROM like Lineage.
Yeah - I know - but thanks
May try that with my old one
if I root it or anything I risk bricking it - and TBH I hardly use it as a smartphone other than WWW access and a cycle tracker
so taking a risk of bricking it is silly - if I can find something else to track a ride

so now that Strava has decided to work I will just use that
In the meantime my 'even older' phone may be a better candidate for rooting and experimentation
and that would be better thing to use 'live' on the handlebars where it is more at risk but if it bricks then it is no real loss!

Gunk

Guru
I used to use the free version of Endomondo on my Apple Watch, good little app, as you were riding it announced you time for your last KM.

Top Bottom