Endurance / Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
So I started this cycling guff with a Spec. Roubaix ..
I love it, and am chufferood with it ..
Have an investment maturing so I'm looking at something up from what I have ..
I'd say around £6k ..
Past few months I've researched, and quizzed, and looked at good few bikes ..
So far I'm really taken by the Trek Madone 9.5 , seems to be a complete bike in the sense I'm after racy and comfort all rolled into one ..
Can you stake your claim for something else backed up by why you would make your choice at around the £6k mark ..
IMG_2538.jpg

Velochris

Über Member
Firstly congratulations on being able to have such choice within your budget.

My first thoughts, from experience, are think carefully about thr disc vs rim choice. Within your budget are disc bikes that are also super light.

I bought a new rim brake Bianchi infinito last year and loved it. However, a few months ago I tried a top end disc bike and preferred it for my style and type of riding. Had I known that at the time I wouldn't have gone rim but hey ho.

This isn't a disc vs rim. Both are great and the choice depends on personal preference, nothing else.

I would try a top end disc bike out of interest so you make an informed choice.

In terms of advice, I've never ridden anything in that price range but from what I read the new BMC team machine (disc and rim) is a super all rounder and comfortable for a race bike as well.

If you like the integrated angular loom the Madone looks super as I've seen one in the flesh.

Enjoy the excitement of deciding.

vickster

Legendary Member
Keep some budget aside to insure. Even as a named item, a £6k bike will cost a fair penny to insure, especially if you want to insure against accident damage (although presumably you'll be racing it, so you'd want to consider that too, I'm not sure you'd get race accident damage covered)

I'd be buying custom Ti not plastic with 6k :smile:

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

BMC is certainly one I've looked into.
When we went to Switzerland last year I saw some of their range and was very impressed, were hoping to go for a bit longer and visit some stores they have an impressive one in Geneva ..
Yes it seems to me bizarre spending such a amount on a bike but I really don't have any other hobbies, no smoking and minimal drinking ..
An old savings/ investment plan ends this year so my share I'm going to get something special ..

Velochris

Über Member
Good call re insurance.

It's your money and you aren't doing anyone else any harm so go for it.

At that price a bike fit would also be worthwhile.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the black and teal livery of some Parlee bikes :smile:
I think the cost of their framesets would eat up quite a lot of the budget though! Sigma had a beautiful red one...a mere 11k

Drago

Legendary Member
The 'nicest' bike (ie, the one that gave me the most enjoyment, which blew me away with the combination of fit, feel, comfort and performance) cost less than a grand, so I personally wouldn't drop 6 big ones on a bike.

You haven't said what sort of use the bike would be put to? If we had some idea we could cook up a short list for you.

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

I'm not looking at all out racing, I ride on my own and occasionally with friends, but I'm trying to complete my routes faster and want speed combined with comfort ..
I'm also hoping this year to start riding in other countries ..
London bike show were going to so hope to gain a lot of help there ..

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not looking at all out racing, I ride on my own and occasionally with friends, but I'm trying to complete my routes faster and want speed combined with comfort ..
I'm also hoping this year to start riding in other countries ..
London bike show were going to so hope to gain a lot of help there ..
Sounds like you need a tourer not a carbon race bike like the one pictured

Maybe get two bikes? Or a tourer plus some upgrades for the Roubaix which sounds the right bike for your usual riding.

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

Nope, I'm fixed on the Trek above .. I've tried it and it's a stunner , I'm wanting people's opinions on something that will change my mind that's all .. cheers ..

Top Bottom