Energy bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have said it before on here so will say it again when my father raced in the 50's they use to consume rice pudding to keep them going whilst out on rides

Rice pudding handed out in Ice cream cones on Long time trials according to one elder in the bike club.

Energy bars are expensive for what they are.
Get a bento box on your top tube and you can bung biscuits or flapjack pieces in there.
Works for me on Ironman distance.
Normal rides - 60 - 80 miles - I'd just have a piece of cake at the coffee stop and some energy drink on the way round. A sip every 20 mins or so.
Always TAKE an energy bar with me but this poor thing ends up doing 1000s of miles in my pocket and never gets consumed.
I gave one to a hungry fox one time though.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Many moons ago I played in a local table tennis league. We were playing doubles. Leading 21-20 needing two clear points to win my shot hit the top of the net and drooped down on their side. Shaking hands, I said, “Sorry about that” to which I thought one of my opponents replied - “You lucky c*nt!” Took my brain a few seconds to work out that what he’d actually said was - “They all count” 😀

Sharky

Guru
I have said it before on here so will say it again when my father raced in the 50's they use to consume rice pudding to keep them going whilst out on rides

My dad was racing pre ww2 and once mention that some of the riders used to take "coca cola" and an aspirin before a race. Don't think he did, but it might explain how he could do a 66min 25 on an 86" fixed. Quite a respectable time even now.

Jameshow

Veteran
My dad was racing pre ww2 and once mention that some of the riders used to take "coca cola" and an aspirin before a race. Don't think he did, but it might explain how he could do a 66min 25 on an 86" fixed. Quite a respectable time even now.

Yeap have to admit to bonking once during a century and drinking coke and a dairy milk to get me home!

I tend to buy what ever I can find where ever I am!
Bacon butty, Cornish pastie. I'm not buying petrol so why not!!

Coop meal deal and two Belgian buns one for lunch, other for later!

I'd only use gels if I were racing. Use them whilst running fell races every 40 mins or so.

bobzmyunkle

they fit really well in an open-mouthed water bottle.
The mind boggles.

I have used caffeine gels for the last desperate miles. Always worth checking your bodies response to foods before an event, especially with commercial nonsense like caffeine gels. I have seen a fellow competitor confined to the 'conveniences' for a number of hours after over reliance on such products.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've taken to making my own energy balls which I take with me on rides, along with homemade flapjack and some fruit/nut mix.

The energy balls are a mix of dates, dark chocolate, peanut butter, oats and chia seeds.

IMG_20220917_164932524.jpg

I've tried energy bars and gels and my stomach really doesn't get on with them.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
Up to 25m (2hr) I did non-stop, I had a regular 39m circuit where I stopped for a few nuts/biscuits at ~17m, but on full day rides I would stop every hour. I never bought food, I used to take sandwiches, and then when they ran out, nuts/biscuits.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I am riding anything under 50km I usually just keep hydrated. I have recently added a couple of alerts to my Wahoo Bolt. The first is DRINK. It comes on every ten minutes with a beep and will not go off until I physically turn it off. The second is STRETCH and that comes on 5 minutes after DRINK. It has been very successful as like most people, I almost always forget to drink enough and stretching as I ride keeps a lot of the aches at bay.

I can usually sneak a cake stop in or a village shop for Pringles or Chocolate.

Anything over 50kms, I will be looking for a garage sandwich stop. I have found that riding a bike is secondary once you get over 70km. You have to drink and not just each junk food. You need to get off the bike and stretch and sit for 10 minutes just to get some normality back. Riding a bike for 3 hours plus is not normal.

Top Bottom