Energy bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notmyrealnamebutclose

I played an hour of table tennis then 2 hours of badminton (Dbles) straight after and suffered from chronic fatigue as I hadn't
really eaten much from late afternoon before playing. I usually have some choc wafer bars or a banana in my rucksack but
forgot them as I was rushing to get there on time. Just wanted to know what people ate during playing a sport or riding a long distance etc.

Sharky

Guru
Upto 2hrs on a bike, very little, as long as I don't ride through a normal meal time.

When playing table tennis, I often prefer not to eat anything before a match. Playing on a full stomach is not very good. But will take a few mouthfuls of water between sets.

davidphilips

Veteran
What i have found out for me when doing a long cycle is keeping hydrated is more important than what i eat.
Have suffered on days when i have not eaten much the day before but always think little and often is better than lots but seldom with both fluids and food.
If going on a long club cycle i try and keep a bar or 2 as a few times i have been cycling with others that have diabetes and they have said about feeling low on sugar, sometimes even at a stop i see them putting a gauge to there upper arm to get a reading and i always ask if every things ok and can offer them a bar if they say there readings a bit low.
Know its wrong to make fun of another cyclist but had to laugh at one friend who when cycling took a few minutes peeling a banana and just as he tried to take his first bite it fell onto the road.

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

Thanks guys, I normally have a bowl of porridge wth a few sultanas made in the microwave at least an hour before
playing but had run low on milk. There's those sport/energy sachets you can buy, seen some in lidl (forget the brand)
but waiting to see if they price drop as no one seems to be buying them, think there's maybe 10 6 in a box, maybe 50p
5.50 a box of 6x60gms (91p each . I don't think that eating sugary snacks is the necessary right thing to eat but always drink plenty of water definately.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Long rides, over two hours I'll drink a carb mix (Decathlon do a 'long energy' powder). I will occasionally have a cereal bar but I struggle to eat anything other than say a banana. Towards the end of a long ride I may supplement with a gel (very rarely - I've two boxes of out of date SIS gels).

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I have said it before on here so will say it again when my father raced in the 50's they use to consume rice pudding to keep them going whilst out on rides
Apologies to the OP for diverting the thread. Why isn’t tinned rice pudding available in ring pull cans.
On longer rides I sometimes stop at village stores to fuel up, I would buy rice pudding if it was in ring pull cans.

Many years ago (90s), I used to have Powerbars, maybe it was the marketing of the time that influenced me?
One night still sticks in my memory
At that time I worked in Leeds, & had a couple in my locker, so had them at meal-break (back then my work wasn't such a physical thing, as it can be now)
Come finishing time, I set off through Hunslet, to Stourton (if anyone knows Leeds)
I'd then ride up 'Bell Hill' (unlit, national speed-limit, no bus-lane back then), and along Wakefield Road (A61) to Lofthouse Gate
I looked at my watch, when I got home, & I was over 5 minutes quicker than normal, allowing for traffic-lights & weather

It was only after putting the bike away, & taking my helmet & shoes off, that I remembered what I'd eaten about 3 hours before

Tenkaykev

Guru
Apologies to the OP for diverting the thread. Why isn’t tinned rice pudding available in ring pull cans.
On longer rides I sometimes stop at village stores to fuel up, I would buy rice pudding if it was in ring pull cans.
I saw one guy produce a small ring pull can of tuna and a spork at the end of one run 😮

multitool

I don't eat any of the big brand bars (Powerbar etc). I regard them as purely highly processed confectionary and on big rides they make me feel sick. Big rides (ie 200k+) tends to be proper food (sandwiches, sushi etc) And then if needed Veloforte bars. They are expensive, but very high quality.

Short rides( up to 40 miles) nothing.
Intermediate (50 -80) veloforte bars, fruit etc.

Gels for emergencies only and never until latter part of ride.

Top Bottom