Butterfly handle bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welshman

Can you put them on a gravel bike, a boardman. Would it cost much to get it switched.
I have a hybrid which is nice upright ride, thought I try drop bars, but too uncomfortable.

Twilkes

Guru
From memory, butterfly bars are usually a replacement for flat bars, not drop bars, and if you replaced them you might have mismatched diameters on the stem clamp and the shifters, and even if the shifters clamped tightly you might not find a suitable place to put them and be able to comfortably use the breaks and change gears. And the geometry of your bike might not make it a comfortable ride.

Before you do something drastic, try taking the bars off the stem, taking the stem off the back, and turn it over so it points upwards and the end is closer to you, then refit everything to your bike. You might find that much more comfortable if your drops are currently too low. It's worth trying to get used to them, I rode flat bars for years but wouldn't really choose to go back for anything other than errands or family rides.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could work for you but you won't know until you get them on. You'll have to replace levers and change other bits, won't be cheap.
If you don't like them it might turn out to be a wasted exercise, but might suit you if you want a more upright stance.

OP
OP
W

Welshman

I have put a stem riser on, but still get pain through my arms, and constantly shifting hands , is it just seat too high .

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Saddle height and bar height are two very different things. Your correct seat height should have your leg more or less straight when sitting with the pedal at six o clock. Plenty of videos on YouTube.
If you want a very upright stance the butterflies could well suit you as I said.
Maybe try to find some cheap ones used and just put them on to see how they feel.

iandg

Legendary Member
I've just done 2 drops to flat bar conversions because of health problems.

On top of the price of the bars, parts that you (may) need to change are:
Handlebar stem - length and clamp size may need to change
Brake levers
Gear levers
Bar grips/tape
Brake and gear cables

Cross-check - I used the existing stem and tape from the old bars. I had V-brake straight bar levers in a spares box and all the cables and outer-casing.

On-one Jeff Bars, Planet X £30
Sun Race thumb-shifters, Spa Cycles £22 each

292534958_10159962931457486_3790606521260698756_n.jpg

Henry Burton - I had thumb shifters, bars, stem and all cables

Shimano straight bar levers, Wiggle - £12 each
Ergon Grips, Wiggle - £32.50

IMG_20220702_150001_667.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe too much weight on your hands ?

So higher stem or a shorter stem ?

What tyres do you have - what width and what psi are you using ?

Fredo76

Über Member

Top Bottom