energy bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
now even before I start I realise that this question is a bit like - how long is a piece of string , so I will try to explain best I can
I have entered a multiday event with some punishing hills involved
I never have protein bars or gels usually , just some squash and a sandwich maybe chocolate bar
I want to ditch the sandwich and chocolate bar and go to an energy bar to help me along
I don't do caffeine as it sends me do-lally and I can't sleep at night
not interested in gels as all they do is get you messy and you are expected to have so many a ride I would feel like a pack mule
if it makes any difference , there's not much fat on me and just looking for endurance aid
so the question is , what would you recommend from personal experience as the choice is overwhelming ? I have even thought about breakfast bars , maybe over thinking it as I can stop at shops and whatnot , but it would be nice to have a back up in pocket . I understand that its gonna be different for all and one persons miracle bar will be another ones laxative
thank you for any advise given

richardfm

Veteran

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride was fuelled by soreen malt loaf , the individual bars are handy for rear pockets .
As for sports nutrition bars the best I found are On nutrition stocked by Holland an Barret the main problems are most of them have a lot of chocolate in them so if it's n
hot they get a bit squishy

Last edited:

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
There is also this thread:
Thread 'When there is no café stop...' https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/when-there-is-no-café-stop.291903/

We're all quite different. I find that on Sportives there are usually food stops, but invariably most stuff on offer is sweet and I am usually craving savoury. So worth bearing that in mind if you normally take sandwiches.

I generally aim for at least a snack per hour (don't like to stop except for fluid in and fluid out) and on yesterday's ride (6 hours) I had:
- 3 rolled sandwiches
- a mini pork pie
- part of a flapjack (not home made) - commercial flapjacks can fall apart when you try to eat them on the go, I find. Homemade ones are tricky to get right. Happy to share recipe)
- a baked pasta thing experiment
- a licorice chocolate log
- 2 bananas (wish I had taken more but they are bulky)
- some sweets
Also had 3 litres of drink contain 90-100g of carbs in total (took some stuff to add to drinks when stopped for water). I had a top tube bag and a handlebar bag.

I have also used, in the past:
- home made French toast
- cinnamon rolls
-savoury bread rolls
- "Go Ahead" bars
- Tesco caramel chew bars. The chocolate doesn't seem to melt
- And have stopped and bought Ginsters pasties and sausage rolls and stuffed them in my pocket

Somewhere I read you should aim for 0.5-1.0g/kg of carbs on endurance rides, if you want to get technical. But others will cope with much less.

I have a book on portables called "The Food Zone" with loads of ideas if you like making your own thing

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
There is also this thread:
Thread 'When there is no café stop...' https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/when-there-is-no-café-stop.291903/

We're all quite different. I find that on Sportives there are usually food stops, but invariably most stuff on offer is sweet and I am usually craving savoury. So worth bearing that in mind if you normally take sandwiches.

I generally aim for at least a snack per hour (don't like to stop except for fluid in and fluid out) and on yesterday's ride (6 hours) I had:
- 3 rolled sandwiches
- a mini pork pie
- part of a flapjack (not home made) - commercial flapjacks can fall apart when you try to eat them on the go, I find. Homemade ones are tricky to get right. Happy to share recipe)
- a baked pasta thing experiment
- a licorice chocolate log
- 2 bananas (wish I had taken more but they are bulky)
- some sweets
Also had 3 litres of drink contain 90-100g of carbs in total (took some stuff to add to drinks when stopped for water). I had a top tube bag and a handlebar bag.

I have also used, in the past:
- home made French toast
- cinnamon rolls
-savoury bread rolls
- "Go Ahead" bars
- Tesco caramel chew bars. The chocolate doesn't seem to melt
- And have stopped and bought Ginsters pasties and sausage rolls and stuffed them in my pocket

Somewhere I read you should aim for 0.5-1.0g/kg of carbs on endurance rides, if you want to get technical. But others will cope with much less.

I have a book on portables called "The Food Zone" with loads of ideas if you like making your own thing

Just realised you are on multiday event so bought stuff you can stock up with each day would be better... Apologies.

Top Bottom