Energy bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

I've taken to making my own energy balls which I take with me on rides, along with homemade flapjack and some fruit/nut mix.

The energy balls are a mix of dates, dark chocolate, peanut butter, oats and chia seeds.

View attachment 673480

I've tried energy bars and gels and my stomach really doesn't get on with them.
I have to admire your dedication. Not dissimilar (looking) to the fatballs suetballs I make for the birdys :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You could always decant it in to a drinks bottle

You carry a tin opener on your rides?

iandg

Legendary Member
I have said it before on here so will say it again when my father raced in the 50's they use to consume rice pudding to keep them going whilst out on rides

I used it in the 70s/80s too. Rice pudding and fruit cocktail liquidised in a bidon plus a bidon of water for 100 mile road races. I now buy gels for "just in case" moments (but they generally go out of date) and use those square sandwich thins with a slice of quorn ham and gouda as my main food on long rides with a few dried apricots to nibble on.

Last edited:
I don't do many long rides - am more of a local bimbler. But if going out for more than an hour or so, especially in summer, I'll chuck a piece of fruit and a packet of crisps in my pannier. There's always a roll of sweets in the bar bag anyway if I need a bit of oomph. For away days, it's basically a standard packed lunch (sandwich, fruit, a pastry and crisps) but with some extra snacks like marmite rice cakes and salted nuts. I find I prefer salty to sweet - too much sweet food makes me feel awful.

When fencing competitively, it was loading up on pasta the night before, then eating little and often in between bouts. And keeping up the hydration. You really do sweat buckets when wearing t-shirt, plastron, jacket, lame and the rest of the shebang.

You can get rice pudding in individual foil-topped pots - Muller do them.

multitool

Rice works really well for me on longer rides. Easily digestible, doesn't cause bloating and provides a nice steady energy. Trays of sushi are good, or if I can be arsed I'll make rice cakes.

Top Bottom