Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
My plan for our heated vests is not to turn off the central heating. it's already been on for 3 weeks. I currently have my Hive set to 19 degrees for when we get up in the morning. Then I turn it down to 18 degrees during the day when we are moving about more. Currently set at 18 it rarely ever 'kicks in' between approx 9a.m - 5 pm. Plenty of sunny days help here of course. If by using these vests during the hours of approx 9am - 5pm I can run the heating througout winter at 18 or maybe 17 degrees before turning the heating backup to 19 or maybe 20 after 5pm the reduction in gas usuage will go a long way (all the way ? ) to paying for these heated vests.
Incidentally I read where an average indoor temp of 15 degress is sufficient to keep the house damp free. Assuming you are not drying wet washing indoors etc etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I'm not reading 100 pages.

The payback on your solar panels is a good few years isn't it?
I dare say the gilets will pay back even sooner.

Both good ways to save money.

Indeed, how much to install the solar and how long estimated to break even?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I paid £23 for my heated vest, currently wearing it now as I work from home at a computer all day and it can get quite cold. I also have a heated throw for my legs. If it gets too bad I get out the fingerless gloves.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Indeed, how much to install the solar and how long estimated to break even?

all according how big a system you buy and how much electric you use .....but for me, its also a moral obligation to myself in trying to cut energy and produce my own....so for me payback doesn't come into it.

By next year i know my sell back to the grid, will well outweigh my draw down from the grid.....so win, win from my point of view

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Which is fine on the sofa but a bit rubbish if you're moving round the house.

And I bet the kettle is more expensive electric wise than the gilet.

Less than 2p a boil and if moving around you’ll be warm enough anyway. Plus a lot cheaper than upfront £120 per person.

vickster

Legendary Member

Attachments

• B0416452-48D3-4E25-8D62-60253E736441.jpeg
    B0416452-48D3-4E25-8D62-60253E736441.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
From mid July to mid August as example

for the year would be better off your bill...they predict how much electric you will use, thats the best figure to give

My system is costing me 5.3k to have fitted....thats for a 3.2kwh system, Hybrid inverter, no battery storage.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My meter readings are considerably lower than expected. With standing charges and the energy support discount my October energy bill is on target to be about £30.

Far too low, must be a maths error.

presta

Guru
1. That wont stop your house getting damp and cold in winter though....
You don't need to turn the heating down to nothing.
2. I'll tell my mrs to stop complaining about her hands and feet being cold then, because her core is nice and warm......as a cyclist your feet and legs are still moving, where as sat watching TV is a little different. But im sure she will understand hey
If your core is warm your body won't restrict the blood flow to the extremities.
there is no wattage of the vest or Wh of the batteries being used
Yes there is. The three heat levels are 3.5W, 6W & 12W, the battery is 35.52Wh.

The payback time is quite long though. Based on reducing my 7400kWh winter gas consumption by just 10%, gas 10.29/kWh, elec 35.07/kWh, and two gilets costing £160 on max heat for 16 hours a day for 86 days with ~75% charge efficiency, it would take about 5 winters to cover the cost. It might be quite economic for one person though, especially if you can reduce gas use by more than the 10% I've assumed.

Top Bottom