Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

Shell say that they'll deduct the £66 from your Direct Debit, but they haven't, they've just added it to the credit on my account and the DD hasn't changed:
View attachment 664435

View attachment 664437
They're also claiming my consumption has gone up ~80% when it hasn't.

well that's shell - you can be sure of shell - see other thread.
am a low user on Octopus - they have put me on a direct debit holiday for the duration of the government thing.
I didn't even have to ask for/suggest this.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm with Sainsbury's Energy on a 2-year fixed tariff, with one year to go, and they've credited my account with £66 this month - which I'm guessing they'll do for the next few months like others.

vickster

Legendary Member
£66 credited by Octopus, £189 in credit now so my DD has reduced from £92 to about £25, will see how the winter goes

Scaleyback

Veteran
I post this with no connection to the company other than a satisfied buyer.
Most of us are looking for ways to 'soften' the financial blow of the energy price increases.
Many experts are advocating " heat the person not the space " in fact Octopus energy (my supplier) are giving away 10,000 free electric blankets to their most vulnerable customers.

In Amazon's Prime sale recently I have purchased my wife & I one each of Padded Heated vest

It's not a vest, as we Brit's know it, it's a Gilet. Made by an American company ' Ororo' Don't let that £159.00 price stop you in your tracks, you will find them cheaper.
I paid £120.00 each for mine, sure still a lot of money for many people but I reckon by running the central heating a degree or two lower throughout the coldest winter months
these can probably pay for themselves. Let's face it, being cold is no fun is it ?
There are many other 'heated vests' at lower prices. I choose Ororo because all the reviews I read placed this particular vest in the top 1 or 2.
This particular vest has 4 heated areas, front either side around the pockets, rear central back and rear collar. many lower priced vests have less heating areas.
It is a quality item, fit, finish top class and looks just like a normal Gilet, apart from the small indicator on the top collar that 'glows' Red = Max, White = Med, Blue = Low.
Just press this indicator to 'cycle' through the settings.
We have bought ours primarily to wear indoors, we walk a lot and generate our own heat so cannot imagine we would need this outdoors. However if you were outdoors and stationary
for any length of time, watching sport etc this vest would be great.
Only had ours a couple of days but very impressed ! sure not really cold yet but testing it on low heat it's just right. Cannot see us ever needing Max heat but hey ! everyones
different eh ? On low heat the battery is said to last 10 hours, Med = 6 hrs & High 3-4 hrs. Spare batteries are available.
Stay warm folks.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I post this with no connection to the company other than a satisfied buyer.
Most of us are looking for ways to 'soften' the financial blow of the energy price increases.
Many experts are advocating " heat the person not the space " in fact Octopus energy (my supplier) are giving away 10,000 free electric blankets to their most vulnerable customers.

In Amazon's Prime sale recently I have purchased my wife & I one each of Padded Heated vest

It's not a vest, as we Brit's know it, it's a Gilet. Made by an American company ' Ororo' Don't let that £159.00 price stop you in your tracks, you will find them cheaper.
I paid £120.00 each for mine, sure still a lot of money for many people but I reckon by running the central heating a degree or two lower throughout the coldest winter months
these can probably pay for themselves. Let's face it, being cold is no fun is it ?
There are many other 'heated vests' at lower prices. I choose Ororo because all the reviews I read placed this particular vest in the top 1 or 2.
This particular vest has 4 heated areas, front either side around the pockets, rear central back and rear collar. many lower priced vests have less heating areas.
It is a quality item, fit, finish top class and looks just like a normal Gilet, apart from the small indicator on the top collar that 'glows' Red = Max, White = Med, Blue = Low.
Just press this indicator to 'cycle' through the settings.
We have bought ours primarily to wear indoors, we walk a lot and generate our own heat so cannot imagine we would need this outdoors. However if you were outdoors and stationary
for any length of time, watching sport etc this vest would be great.
Only had ours a couple of days but very impressed ! sure not really cold yet but testing it on low heat it's just right. Cannot see us ever needing Max heat but hey ! everyones
different eh ? On low heat the battery is said to last 10 hours, Med = 6 hrs & High 3-4 hrs. Spare batteries are available.
Stay warm folks.

so £240 for two heated Gilets and what about the electric to charge them back up or cost of re-usable batteries???....how much gas would that buy you to warm the house and stop it getting damp??? and what about legs, arms, feet?? what do you do with those??

Scaleyback

Veteran
so £240 for two heated Gilets and what about the electric to charge them back up or cost of re-usable batteries???....how much gas would that buy you to warm the house and stop it getting damp??? and what about legs, arms, feet?? what do you do with those??

One at a time 🙄 Cost of charging small batteries like this is negligible, I read £1.09 a year if you charge your smartphone every day. Re-usable batteries are not relevant here. Legs, arms & feet, if your core is warm the blood flow to your extremities is increased and they will be warmer. How much gas would that buy to warm the house ? Pass, are you going to. tell me ?

By my calculations each full charge would be about 2p per vest.

And as a cyclist you'd know about keeping a warm core to warm your extremities.

If you think about it - it's far more efficient to warm the person directly than a whole house.

Have you taken any action on energy use Jowwy ?

jowwy

3. By my calculations each full charge would be about 2p per vest

2. And as a cyclist you'd know about keeping a warm core to warm your extremities.

1. If you think about it - it's far more efficient to warm the person directly than a whole house.

Have you taken any action on energy use Jowwy ?

if you read this full thread you will see what actions i have taken on energy....i also only use circa 4/5kwh a day electric and will be less when the solar power gets fitted on Tuesday of next week.

1. That wont stop your house getting damp and cold in winter though....

2. I'll tell my mrs to stop complaining about her hands and feet being cold then, because her core is nice and warm......as a cyclist your feet and legs are still moving, where as sat watching TV is a little different. But im sure she will understand hey

3. not sure what calculations your using as there is no wattage of the vest or Wh of the batteries being used, so maybe you could tell us what they are, because i cant see them in the post??

Last edited:
if you read this full thread you will see what actions i have taken on energy....i also only use circa 4/5kwh a day electric and will be less when the solar power gets fitted on Tuesday of next week.

Yeah I'm not reading 100 pages.

The payback on your solar panels is a good few years isn't it?
I dare say the gilets will pay back even sooner.

Both good ways to save money.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran

Jowwy, my post was solely to inform members of this (heated gilet) option. Members will then presumably make up their minds. It appears you consider your "actions I have taken on energy" are a superior way to cut costs and have decided to use my post as an entry to promote this. Please excuse me if I don't read the full thread. 🤪

jowwy

Jowwy, my post was solely to inform members of this (heated gilet) option. Members will then presumably make up their minds. It appears you consider your "actions I have taken on energy" are a superior way to cut costs and have decided to use my post as an entry to promote this. Please excuse me if I don't read the full thread. 🤪

nope - i have not said such a thing........

jowwy

Yeah I'm not reading 100 pages.

The payback on your solar panels is a good few years isn't it?
I dare say the gilets will pay back even sooner.

Both good ways to save money.

until you have to repair damp and mould damage......

Top Bottom