Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Last time I complained to BG it was via the webform, you then go backwards & forwards multiple times & at some point in the future you reach Deadlock if they can't sort it out, you need notification from them that Deadlock has been reached before you can go to the Ombudsman.

Thats were companies like BG cheese me off. It should have a clear 3 stage complaints policy.....

Step 1 - Complain - Investigation - response ( 15 days to investigate and respond )
Step 2 - Appeal Stage 1 reply ( 10 days to investigate and respond)
Step 3 - Not happy with appeal - go to ombudsman

No backwards and forwards......just 3 simple easy steps, with a timescale between each one clearly defined, that way you can hold them clearly accountable for issues and hold them to their policy.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm currently in dispute with Severn Trent, I raised the complaint 3rd August 2021, I have been trying to get a Deadlock letter from them since June (I think) this year

jowwy

just switched to octopus flexible tarrif, ready for when the solar is fitted and can then switch to their outgoing tariff @15p/kwh

Happy days......solar being fitted next tuesday. so will be all good and ready for the exports to go towards monthly costs.

kipster

Guru
My SEG export went live last week on Octopus agile. I think I exported 61kwh from Thursday to Sunday, and 9 kwh yesterday. I seem to be importing about 1kwh a day somehow. But overall a profit on electric.

Most of my export is currently from 2pm after the batteries are charged and the water is heated.

D

Deleted member 26715

just switched to octopus flexible tarrif, ready for when the solar is fitted and can then switch to their outgoing tariff @15p/kwh

Happy days......solar being fitted next tuesday. so will be all good and ready for the exports to go towards monthly costs.

It's addictive watching the flow of electricity, if you had of said you were going to Octopus you could have had my (or others) referral link & got £50

jowwy

My SEG export went live last week on Octopus agile. I think I exported 61kwh from Thursday to Sunday, and 9 kwh yesterday. I seem to be importing about 1kwh a day somehow. But overall a profit on electric.

Most of my export is currently from 2pm after the batteries are charged and the water is heated.

i dont have batteries, so mine will mostly be going to export as we only use 4/5kwh a day

Alex321

Veteran

Mine will be similar. Finally got the battery installed yesterday. It didn't start charging until afternoon, so it only reached 28% charge yesterday, and that got used up in the evening, so we did use some import.

But already at 31% today, so should have enough to last overnight easily by the end of daylight today.

I think the small import is the system checking that AC power is connected - though I don't think mine will be as much as 1kWh, it was rarely above 30W yesterday while the battery was discharging, and less than that a lot of the time.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
From my research the small imports often occur when a big change has happened in your system, for example someone turning on the kettle an oven at the same time. This results in a big spike that takes a few seconds/minutes to sort out in the invertor as it furiously tries to divert solar and battery power. I was worried when I first saw this and was monitoring furiously and pulling log files for a deeper analysis, I was even seeing solar charging the battery at the same time as the grid powering the house, it only really happens for a short amount of time and so does not really cost much.

gbb

Legendary Member
Latest bill in from Bulb last night
£114 last month
£111 this bill.
One thing we have noticed. Reduced quite dramatically the hot water run times...and that did reduce bills, but it's also made the house colder, particularly in the mornings.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Oct 1st 2022 changes.

"If you’re on a standard variable tariff

The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October.

These unit prices have been passed to suppliers to ensure that they are used to calculate bills in Great Britain from 1 October.

Energy suppliers will adjust standard variable tariffs automatically. Customers on standard variable tariffs do not need to take any action to get the benefits of this scheme.

The Energy Bills Support Scheme (£400 discount) will also be applied as a monthly or quarterly discount to your bill."

"If you’re on a fixed rate tariff

Fixed tariff customers will have the same support where appropriate. Unit price reductions of up to 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas will apply to fixed tariff customers that currently have unit rates above the EPG.

A ‘floor’ unit price for gas averaging at 10.3p/kWh and for electricity averaging at 34p/kWh for direct debit customers will be introduced, because some people will have fixed at much lower prices some time ago, meaning their annual payments will already be below the £2,500 average set by the Energy Price Guarantee.

Customers on fixed rate tariffs that are already below the floor unit prices will continue to enjoy those low rates, but will not receive a further discount for the duration of their fixed term.

For the small number of consumers who fixed at a high rate exceeding the October Ofgem price cap of £3,549, they will receive the full discount of 17p for electricity and 4.2p for gas. However, given the higher starting point, their fixed rate tariff will still have a unit rate that is above the EPG rates.

Energy suppliers will adjust fixed tariffs automatically. Customers on fixed tariffs do not need to take any action to get the benefits of this scheme. Any transfer to a different tariff is a matter for suppliers.

The Energy Bills Support Scheme will be paid on top of this as a monthly or quarterly discount to your bill, totalling £400 from October to March."

"Standing charges

Average standing charges for customers on default tariffs will remain capped in line with the levels set (in Great Britain) by Ofgem for the default tariff cap from 1 October, at 46p per day for electricity and 28p per day for gas, for a typical dual fuel customer paying by direct debit. Standing charges for households in Northern Ireland will also be unaffected."

Info from here:https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ergy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022

Does turning radiators in the house off in rooms not being used (but still heating other occupied rooms) save any money, or is it counter productive as the hot rooms are competing with the cold ones?

I used to do this a lot at my old house, but TBH I don't really know if it does or not.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think it depends on the house & which rooms you are thinking of, if it's an old house or has North facing walls, then it's a good idea to turn them right down but still have some heat going through them. On a modern well insulated house switching them off might be a good idea.

There was a study on whether it was better to leave the heating on low during the day whilst at work or to switch off & then switch on when you come home, keeping it a a low temperature as opposed to allowing it to cool down & have to heat up from a lower temperature, they found very little difference. I know it's not the asked question but others might be thinking of it.

I think it depends on the house & which rooms you are thinking of, if it's an old house or has North facing walls, then it's a good idea to turn them right down but still have some heat going through them. On a modern well insulated house switching them off might be a good idea.

There was a study on whether it was better to leave the heating on low during the day whilst at work or to switch off & then switch on when you come home, keeping it a a low temperature as opposed to allowing it to cool down & have to heat up from a lower temperature, they found very little difference. I know it's not the asked question but others might be thinking of it.

It's a modern house with good insulation, 2 the rooms I don't want to heat are north facing yes but one is my office (I use a small oil filled radiator and keep door closed when I'm working) and the other the bedroom which I never want to heat. I'm not running CH yet but once I start I think I'll keep them off.
£66 Energy refund arrived in the bank this morning. SP are refunding rather than knocking off the bill.

Shell knocked mine off the bill, confused me for a bit as I'd forgotten about it.

Top Bottom