Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
I've just got rid of youngest to university last week, still have eldest lad at home.

We had solar and batteries installed over the summer so the boys considered it free leccy and got into bad habits.

I'm going round and turning things off of standby that are infrequently used. Most bulbs are led. I work from home two days a week, my son 5 days and my wife is retired. I work in IT so have a few PCs laptops tablets etc..

My laptop mainly gets used for zwift/turbo trainer but the power brick is 135w (gaming laptop). The PC has a 300w power supply but that hasn't been on for a few days.

I want to upgrade my 10 year old plasma TV to an OLED TV before Christmas so that will bring evening usage down a bit.

Just on the subject of PCs I use a Desktop (ex office machine) as a media machine under my TV, I think it's about time I changed that to a small form factor PC which uses less power as I have that on most of the time I'm not working.

I've got a few websites to search, anyone recommend any more?

https://www.pcrenewed.co.uk/
https://www.box.co.uk/
https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/
https://www.novatech.co.uk/

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just got electricity bill increases from Scottish Power and they look very reasonable: better than expected.

Comes to +£199 pa.

Standing charge 40.3 > 42.3p

Day rate 32.6 > 34.2p

Night rate 14.9 > 15.7p

(Economy 7 Tarriff).

kipster

Guru
My estimate has got me down at +£650, but that isn't taking the solar panels I've had installed so expect that to drop a bit.

Most of the increase was for gas so I'm wondering how to cut that usage back. I didn't think we used a lot. I guess the broken pump on the underfloor heating in the kitchen might stay not working for the winter.

Tom B

Guru
So I have discovered that my gas smart meter doesn't measure small amounts of gas usage.

Yesterday I wanted to alow cook some oxtail, I found that the small ring on the gas hob was still to hot and focused so I stood the large cast iron pan on top of a cast iron hotplate thingy. I left the thing of form 8am to 5pm on the lowest setting which kept the pan at a nice very slow simmer.

According the online figures I used no gas until I started using the rest of the hobs.

I think my stove top kettle will live on this ring now!

Next test is to see if the medium rings on low register any use.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A BIG reminder from my energy company, who I've fixed for two years with, to provide a reading. Apparently I'm a naughty boy :whistle:

All done. We're using about £974pa of electric and £670 of gas on September 2021 fixed prices until September 2023. It means our payment's going down from £152pm to £85pm until next September. Then it'll go UP A LOT as the fixed tariff ends, estimated to be around £350pm.

With son no. 2 going to university plus me returning to on-site teaching four days a week, plus SWMBO now working five days a week, we'll be using far less electricity and gas over the winter. It'll cost more in bike commuting parts and clothes washing however as I'll have to wear 'proper' clothes plus bike kit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just had my projection from BG...

If I use the same amount of gas and electricity in the next year as I have done in the past 12 months, my bill should go up from £1,000 to around £1,900.

The £400 government payment will come off that.

As a pensioner, I think I should now get the winter fuel allowance, and if I understand it correctly, that would be £500 for me?

So, fingers crossed, my costs should stay the same! :whistle:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I wonder if anyone could help with this because I am at my wits end with British Gas and have no idea how or where I should go to resolve my difficulties. All the tariffs, bills shown are from "My Account" or BG email and not any general statement on BG website. The situation is this:
  • People's Energy failed and I was switched to BG from 01/11/2021
  • With every supplier I have always recorded and submitted my own readings
  • Billed 09/12/2021 and 22/12/2021
  • Billing ceased until I chased up and was eventually billed 30/03/2022 for £520.65 which was a shock. Agree I should have chased sooner
  • Bills proved to have a variety of issues each month from January to July each of which I contacted BG about. Each time an issue was corrected a new issue arose
  • 09/08/2022 by chance I spoke to an individual who grasped the problem and undertook to correct the situation. This took 90 minutes on the phone and resulted in my opening readings on 01/11/2021 being revised upwards putting me in credit
  • 15/08/2022 all previous bills cancelled and replaced by a single bill for 01/11/2021 to 14/08/2021. It was complex and while I could probably check it accurately can't stand the heartache. This revision put me £140.36 in credit
  • I was advised to always submit my readings on the 19th of the month to comply with the billing cycle. My intention was to take readings on 19/09/2022
  • 17/09/2022 a new bill arrived for the period 01/11/2021 to 06/09/2022 placing me £211.42 in credit. On the BG website this bill shows as £883.76 but when I open the bill the total is £839.28
  • At this point I gave up. Created a new spreadsheet to record readings, calculate my likely costs each month and set the money to one side to pay when a solution is eventually reached. I resolved not to contact BG as it simply makes me angry and is unlikely to improve matters
That is the history. After receiving email on 22/09/2022 advising charges from 01/10/2022 I doublechecked costs etc and found the following:
  • BG website current tariff Gas 10.326/kWh standing charge 28.485/day. Electric 33.476/kWh standing charge 43.26/day
  • Most recent bill tariff Gas 6.993/kWh standing charge 25.923. Electric 26.686/kWh standing charge 40.23/day. These are costs shown as at 14/08/22
  • BG email 22/09/2022 states current tariff Gas 7.343/kWh standing charge 27.220/day. Electric 28.021/kWh standing charge 42.242/day
  • BG email 22/09/2022 states tariff from 01/10/2022 will be Gas 10.326/kWh standing charge 28.485/day. Electric 33.476/kWh standing charge 43.26/day. This is exactly the same as the tariff BG shows on My Account today
I like to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent individual. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on and more importantly do not understand what I should be paying now or what my costs will be from 01/10/2022. I'm very worried I will end up with a huge bill which I have not set aside enough money for. Finally I have absolutely no idea where to go for help. Do I go to the ombudsman? Do I have to set all this out in a letter to BG first (complaints are only taken in letter form, not email)?

I have no confidence whatsoever in BG to resolve the situation. I have contacted BG at least once a month for eight months and no one seems capable of correcting the situation. At least I've got it off my chest somewhere!!!

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I wonder if anyone could help with this because I am at my wits end with British Gas and have no idea how or where I should go to resolve my difficulties. All the tariffs, bills shown are from "My Account" or BG email and not any general statement on BG website. The situation is this:
  • People's Energy failed and I was switched to BG from 01/11/2021
  • With every supplier I have always recorded and submitted my own readings
  • Billed 09/12/2021 and 22/12/2021
  • Billing ceased until I chased up and was eventually billed 30/03/2022 for £520.65 which was a shock. Agree I should have chased sooner
  • Bills proved to have a variety of issues each month from January to July each of which I contacted BG about. Each time an issue was corrected a new issue arose
  • 09/08/2022 by chance I spoke to an individual who grasped the problem and undertook to correct the situation. This took 90 minutes on the phone and resulted in my opening readings on 01/11/2021 being revised upwards putting me in credit
  • 15/08/2022 all previous bills cancelled and replaced by a single bill for 01/11/2021 to 14/08/2021. It was complex and while I could probably check it accurately can't stand the heartache. This revision put me £140.36 in credit
  • I was advised to always submit my readings on the 19th of the month to comply with the billing cycle. My intention was to take readings on 19/09/2022
  • 17/09/2022 a new bill arrived for the period 01/11/2021 to 06/09/2022 placing me £211.42 in credit. On the BG website this bill shows as £883.76 but when I open the bill the total is £839.28
  • At this point I gave up. Created a new spreadsheet to record readings, calculate my likely costs each month and set the money to one side to pay when a solution is eventually reached. I resolved not to contact BG as it simply makes me angry and is unlikely to improve matters
That is the history. After receiving email on 22/09/2022 advising charges from 01/10/2022 I doublechecked costs etc and found the following:
  • BG website current tariff Gas 10.326/kWh standing charge 28.485/day. Electric 33.476/kWh standing charge 43.26/day
  • Most recent bill tariff Gas 6.993/kWh standing charge 25.923. Electric 26.686/kWh standing charge 40.23/day. These are costs shown as at 14/08/22
  • BG email 22/09/2022 states current tariff Gas 7.343/kWh standing charge 27.220/day. Electric 28.021/kWh standing charge 42.242/day
  • BG email 22/09/2022 states tariff from 01/10/2022 will be Gas 10.326/kWh standing charge 28.485/day. Electric 33.476/kWh standing charge 43.26/day. This is exactly the same as the tariff BG shows on My Account today
I like to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent individual. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on and more importantly do not understand what I should be paying now or what my costs will be from 01/10/2022. I'm very worried I will end up with a huge bill which I have not set aside enough money for. Finally I have absolutely no idea where to go for help. Do I go to the ombudsman? Do I have to set all this out in a letter to BG first (complaints are only taken in letter form, not email)?

I have no confidence whatsoever in BG to resolve the situation. I have contacted BG at least once a month for eight months and no one seems capable of correcting the situation. At least I've got it off my chest somewhere!!!

Any complaints would firstly have to go to British Gas and then they would have a certain time to reply with an answer. if your not happy with their reply, then you would forward all correspondence to the ombudsman for them to look into the situation. reading the above it would seem you have a very valid case for maladministration on behalf of BG......

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints.html

It does state in their complaints process that you can complain via webform, live chat, telephone or by post

1664260317835.png

1664260333527.png

1664260345977.png

When you make a complaint via their webform, you have a few questions and then you have these options

1664260486815.png

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It does state in their complaints process that you can complain via webform, live chat, telephone or by post
In that situation, I'd be tempted to go for this option:

"You can also visit one of our offices to talk about your complaint face-to-face. Call us to find out where your nearest one is."

D

Deleted member 26715

Last time I complained to BG it was via the webform, you then go backwards & forwards multiple times & at some point in the future you reach Deadlock if they can't sort it out, you need notification from them that Deadlock has been reached before you can go to the Ombudsman.

Top Bottom