Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Interesting that you say that, we've had a 24unit for the past 10-12 years which was slightly bigger than we needed, when we replaced it the plumber suggested a bigger one 32unit as he reckoned they were the dogs dangles, I've noticed we're using more gas than before, I don't think our usage has changed.
Oversized is often almost as bad as undersized because there's usually some limit to how low they can modulate, so it ends up overrunning and cycling, which is inefficient. It's slightly better than being undersized and running out of heat or water but it's better to be in the main operating range if possible.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Oversized is often almost as bad as undersized because there's usually some limit to how low they can modulate, so it ends up overrunning and cycling, which is inefficient. It's slightly better than being undersized and running out of heat or water but it's better to be in the main operating range if possible.

And there is the very reason i wouldnt have a combi.
As habitual daily bathers, a good supply of hot water is imperative. Before anyone says...yeah, just have showers...nah. Osteo Arthritis leaves me positively aching through the day, every day, all day. If i can't soak for an hour in a hot bath...well, life isnt going to be worth living :laugh: A good hot bath is a wonderful thing, it's just about the only time i don't ache. :okay:

I was surprised to see hot water tanks in new build homes when we were moving around 5 years ago.

The home we are in now is less than a decade old but has a hot water tank. It’s only a two bedroom property but each was its own en-suite with a bath and separate, non-electric, shower. There is also a downstairs toilet, with hand washing sink, as well as the kitchen sink. I’ve been told that the demand out on a combi boiler by all the devices capable of using hot water, if used at the same time, would have been in efficient.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
It's interesting that the government state business MWh:

"the government has set a Supported Wholesale Price – expected to be £211 per MWh for electricity and £75 per MWh for gas, less than half the wholesale prices anticipated this winter – which is a discounted price per unit of gas and electricity. This is equivalent to the wholesale element of the Energy Price Guarantee for households."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-outlines-plans-to-help-cut-energy-bills-for-businesses

So, I think that's, £0.21KWh Elec and £0.07KWh Gas.

Tom B

Guru
It's interesting that the government state business MWh:

"the government has set a Supported Wholesale Price – expected to be £211 per MWh for electricity and £75 per MWh for gas, less than half the wholesale prices anticipated this winter – which is a discounted price per unit of gas and electricity. This is equivalent to the wholesale element of the Energy Price Guarantee for households."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-outlines-plans-to-help-cut-energy-bills-for-businesses

So, I think that's, £0.21KWh Elec and £0.07KWh Gas.

It is, but thats the bare stripped back price for the bucket of electrons. Commercial gas and electricity is more complex than that. You'll pay all sorts of fees on top of that.

It stands to reason people buying larger amounts will get a bit of discount too. When I ran a smallish business we paid about £750 a quarter and that was about 15years ago.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Absolutely nothing yet from Scottish Power. With careful 'watching' what's left on, we've got electric down to 12 KWh a day for the last three weeks on average, an improvement from 20 !. That said, the heating may be going on soon !

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Absolutely nothing yet from Scottish Power. With careful 'watching' what's left on, we've got electric down to 12 KWh a day for the last three weeks on average, an improvement from 20 !. That said, the heating may be going on soon !

I know you got small adults living at home....but thats still nearly 3 times the amount i use, being 2 adults and working from home.

Upto now...since midnight we have used 1.76kwh and current base usage is 250wh. So if that stays around there for the next 13hrs we will use around another 3.2kwhs of leccy, so around 5kwh today, but the Mrs got the washing machine on, so that base usage will drop fairly soon.

fossyant

I know you got small adults living at home....but thats still nearly 3 times the amount i use, being 2 adults and working from home.

Upto now...since midnight we have used 1.76kwh and current base usage is 250wh. So if that stays around there for the next 13hrs we will use around another 3.2kwhs of leccy, so around 5kwh today, but the Mrs got the washing machine on, so that base usage will drop fairly soon.

Small adults who use gaming PC's - whilst working, my laptop, two screens and a docking stations uses 45w, same with MrsF and there is usually one of us WFH each day. Gaming PC - uses 200w just idling (3 screens), and upto 500w gaming - we've checked. Just looked now, and son's machine has used 16 KWH over the week, so a little over 2 KWh a day. Multiply this by 2 for daughter's PC.

So 4 KWh a day or more - the machines are on in the evenings only - daughter's on now as she starts Uni next week, and that's idling at 126w (one less screen).

Don't have teens/young adults is the answer ! Speaking to my brother, he was talking with his business partner, and she can't believe how little he uses - large 4 bed detached - two adults working and a 4 year old. His business partner has 3 teens all with gaming set ups.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Small adults who use gaming PC's - whilst working, my laptop, two screens and a docking stations uses 45w, same with MrsF and there is usually one of us WFH each day. Gaming PC - uses 200w just idling (3 screens), and upto 500w gaming - we've checked. Just looked now, and son's machine has used 16 KWH over the week, so a little over 2 KWh a day. Multiply this by 2 for daughter's PC.

So 4 KWh a day or more - the machines are on in the evenings only - daughter's on now as she starts Uni next week, and that's idling at 126w (one less screen).

Don't have teens/young adults is the answer ! Speaking to my brother, he was talking with his business partner, and she can't believe how little he uses - large 4 bed detached - two adults working and a 4 year old. His business partner has 3 teens all with gaming set ups.

yeh its crazy how much power these game machines use.......glad we just got ipads lol

icowden

Veteran
We are about the same. 11.5kwh on average for the last month for leccy (about the same for Gas). I work from home, so laptop and big PC going constantly. Then there are 3 TVs, mini fridges (not my idea), the ceramic heater for the tortoises, the PS4 and sundry other items all guzzling electricity. Bulb is trying to make me give them £327 a month minimum even though I am in credit by £300.

fossyant

Just on the subject of PCs I use a Desktop (ex office machine) as a media machine under my TV, I think it's about time I changed that to a small form factor PC which uses less power as I have that on most of the time I'm not working.

I've got a few websites to search, anyone recommend any more?

https://www.pcrenewed.co.uk/
https://www.box.co.uk/
https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

I've an ex work HP Elite Desk G2 SFF - runs off a power adapter so doesn't use much and goes to sleep after 20 minutes. Mainly used for Disney+ as our Smart TV stopped supporting it - also got a newer smaller one that needs formating !

I've an ex work HP Elite Desk G2 SFF - runs off a power adapter so doesn't use much and goes to sleep after 20 minutes. Mainly used for Disney+ as our Smart TV stopped supporting it - also got a newer smaller one that needs formating !

Yeah that looks good, my current PC is 250w. HP website says that is 120w so less than half.

Gonna keep looking as ideally I want one with HDMI rather than Display Port out but it's not a deal breaker.

Top Bottom