Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yes 10w hourly , ramps up to about 1.5kw when operated but that’s not for long.

I’ve had a gas hob and I’ve had induction jobs . Water will boil super quick on induction , gas hob is like watching paint dry. The Quooker tap is practically instant. We also fill pots of boiling water if cooking veg/ pasta etc . Even just to boil eggs it’s much quicker however I’ve not done the maths to the penny. It’s convenient first and foremost

Jody

Stubborn git
So you probably get a net saving on the boiling water, even taking standby into account as a kettle is usually around 3kwh.

Standby uses the equivalent of 5 minutes kettle boiling a day.

I like the idea of them, especially given the convenience but have never looked into the efficiency.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just a warning for anyone contemplating filling the kettle from the hot water tap don't the water that is held in the header tank can be quite nasty, not so bad with a Combi boiler as that is reasonably fresh water.
If you still have a header tank (rather than a sealed pressure vessel or nothing), isn't the system likely to be so old-fashioned that efficiency is a wild unattainable dream anyway?

D

Deleted member 26715

If you still have a header tank (rather than a sealed pressure vessel or nothing), isn't the system likely to be so old-fashioned that efficiency is a wild unattainable dream anyway?

No idea, I know my S-I-L & daughter have just had their boiler replaced & it had one, I don't think it was that old when they bought the house as it was one of the buying/selling points & I think that was only 10 years ago

Alex321

Veteran

If you have a non-combi boiler and a hot water tank, the odds are you will also have a header tank to fill it.

Our house is only 24 years old, and that is what we have.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
If you have a non-combi boiler and a hot water tank, the odds are you will also have a header tank to fill it.

Most of the new house round here have an unvented hot water system. Had a combi before which was fine at the time but they do toil water demand is high .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't, so you'd lose that bet.

Is the heating system unchanged? One from 24 years ago is probably "old-fashioned" IMO: it'd be designed about 1998, when petrol was about 60p/litre and most people cared less about energy efficiency, 9 years before houses here had to have Energy Performance Certificates. If it was a bike, it would count as "vintage" in just 6 more years.

potsy

Rambler
Not really taken much notice of energy usage until recently, seems we are using around 9 kwh per day.
That's for 3 adults, with an electric/induction hob and the usual computers/TVs/gadgets.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Not really taken much notice of energy usage until recently, seems we are using around 9 kwh per day.
That's for 3 adults, with an electric/induction hob and the usual computers/TVs/gadgets.

Swap you lol

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
predicted bill just dropped £246 a month ,So i think next years holiday is liable to be cancelled along with a lot of other things like the odd takeaway etc so looks like its work and shiver from now on , i doubt i will even be doing club rides as a cake stop will be out :sad:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Same here, headder tanks for both CH and water. They are both cold. Advantage with a CH headder is it's easy to add boiler silencer fluid and anti-corrosion stuff. Our CH is very efficient - boiler 25 years old, gas use is minimal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today, BG have failed to provide me with a working smart meter. That is the 3rd time in 3 years!

The engineer said that they just can't get the parts. That's what he said a year or so ago. (I think it was the same engineer.)

Anyway, he said that it isn't really a problem because I can just go down into my cellar and read the meters manually if I want to know the readings... And then enter them manually on the BG website... And not be eligible for monthly billing... :whistle:
I complained and BG have just written back apologising that the engineer failed to turn up - they can't even get their apology right! On the bright side, they are giving me £30 compensation...

Perhaps I should keep on making appointments to have new smart meters fitted. After the engineer comes, scratches his head, and goes away without sorting the meters out I can complain again and BG can send me some more money for him not coming here even though he did! It would certainly help pay some of those increased fuel charges! :laugh:

Buck

Guru
When we replaced our boiler all the quotes we got said stay away from a combi as it wouldn’t be effective for us due to the layout of the house and 4 of us / chance of multi showers on a morning etc.

We went for a non-vented pressurised system which works really well.

Next door have the same house design and have a combi which they are replacing for similar reasons.

New solar will have an “Eddi” diverter which will heat the water during the day rather than back to the grid once the battery is full.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Same here, headder tanks for both CH and water. They are both cold. Advantage with a CH headder is it's easy to add boiler silencer fluid and anti-corrosion stuff. Our CH is very efficient - boiler 25 years old, gas use is minimal.

I put my anti corrosion stuff in the magnaflow inline filter . Quite easy to do

Last edited:
Top Bottom