Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
When we replaced our boiler all the quotes we got said stay away from a combi as it wouldn’t be effective for us due to the layout of the house and 4 of us / chance of multi showers on a morning etc.

We went for a non-vented pressurised system which works really well.

Next door have the same house design and have a combi which they are replacing for similar reasons.

New solar will have an “Eddi” diverter which will heat the water during the day rather than back to the grid once the battery is full.

I’m considering that for when I also get solar.

Alex321

Veteran
When we replaced our boiler all the quotes we got said stay away from a combi as it wouldn’t be effective for us due to the layout of the house and 4 of us / chance of multi showers on a morning etc.

Next door have the same house design and have a combi which they are replacing for similar reasons.

New solar will have an “Eddi” diverter which will heat the water during the day rather than back to the grid once the battery is full.

Yes, we are getting an Eddi for the immersion heater as well. Being installed at the same time as the battery, next week.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
predicted bill just dropped £246 a month ,So i think next years holiday is liable to be cancelled along with a lot of other things like the odd takeaway etc so looks like its work and shiver from now on , i doubt i will even be doing club rides as a cake stop will be out :sad:

uhm
teach me to read emails without glasses
still not good but looking at £200 a month not £246 so things are a bit rubbish but another £40 a month is doable mini ck2 will be on sarnies for school dinners and still goign to cut back as much as we can but if we are careful then it should be ok

Mike_P

Guru
Just had a text telling me to apply for the £400 linking to an offical looking web site until you realise the menu and search links do not work. Gov.uk and my energy supplier say no need to apply

PaulSB

Legendary Member
predicted bill just dropped £246 a month ,So i think next years holiday is liable to be cancelled along with a lot of other things like the odd takeaway etc so looks like its work and shiver from now on , i doubt i will even be doing club rides as a cake stop will be out :sad:

You've said this before. Take your own cake, make up a small flask, sit outside the cafe and wait for others to finish their coffee. I know people who did this more than a decade ago. Don't feel obliged to keep up with others or embarrased at being unable to afford a coffee and cake. I happily admit to those I ride with I've changed my cafe spend dramatically because of the cost of living crisis. When I talk to folk they respond with interest and often that they are doing similar.

I could afford a cake but I know there is more shite on the way so I make economies today for what is coming tomorrow. Don't deprive yourself of pleasure and relief from life's troubles because you feel embarrased at not buying cake. That frankly is daft.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I had the email from Bulb today detailing the increase in charges from 1st October...
Electricity: Up 6p per kWh and standing charge up 1p per day
Gas: Up 3p per kWh and standing charge up 1.2p per day.
It's not as bad as I was expecting.

Buck

Guru
I had the email from Bulb today detailing the increase in charges from 1st October...
Electricity: Up 6p per kWh and standing charge up 1p per day
Gas: Up 3p per kWh and standing charge up 1.2p per day.
It's not as bad as I was expecting.

I had mine too. I now need to go and work out what this will mean in real terms based on last year’s usage although we are using a little less year on year. Being a true Yorkshireman, we will leave it as long as possible before turning the heating back on 😁

gbb

Legendary Member

Two experiences...
My mum has a combi in her bungalow. The hot water takes an eternity to reach the tap, no idea why, its easily a minute to get warm, let alone hot.
Our vented system is due for renewal and talking to my son (heating engineer) re combis, they're perfectly ok but only in the right circumstances. What many plumbers / customers try to do is install the smallest to suit their needs when what they should do is fit the biggest. But cost is what drives it and thats why many people end up disappointed with combi boilers, they effectively underspec what they really need.

D

Deleted member 26715

What many plumbers / customers try to do is install the smallest to suit their needs when what they should do is fit the biggest. But cost is what drives it and thats why many people end up disappointed with combi boilers, they effectively underspec what they really need.
Interesting that you say that, we've had a 24unit for the past 10-12 years which was slightly bigger than we needed, when we replaced it the plumber suggested a bigger one 32unit as he reckoned they were the dogs dangles, I've noticed we're using more gas than before, I don't think our usage has changed.

Reactions: gbb

Buck

Guru
Two experiences...
My mum has a combi in her bungalow. The hot water takes an eternity to reach the tap, no idea why, its easily a minute to get warm, let alone hot.
Our vented system is due for renewal and talking to my son (heating engineer) re combis, they're perfectly ok but only in the right circumstances. What many plumbers / customers try to do is install the smallest to suit their needs when what they should do is fit the biggest. But cost is what drives it and thats why many people end up disappointed with combi boilers, they effectively underspec what they really need.

Absolutely. Often people cut back because they see the cost and don’t realise cheaper has consequences. Also retrofitting a combi boiler to an older house design is apparently less efficient which can sometimes cause problems.

Tom B

Guru
Biggest cost saving change I have noticed with my combi is turning the temperatures down. Both on DHw to 55 and heating to 60°c

I'm about to drop off the end of a 2year fixed in December (oh how people laughed when I fixed at a couple of p more)

I've run my figures and it looks at Truss Prices I'll be paying roughly double as an annual average.

I've installed some new LED lights and were being a bit more frugal so hopefully we'll save a bit more. The averages include two years when the missus was on mat leave through winter so hopefully there will be savings there too. We worked as normal through covid so no WFH or extra home "on" costs.

Attachments

• 20220917_094634.JPG
    20220917_094634.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Interesting that you say that, we've had a 24unit for the past 10-12 years which was slightly bigger than we needed, when we replaced it the plumber suggested a bigger one 32unit as he reckoned they were the dogs dangles, I've noticed we're using more gas than before, I don't think our usage has changed.

Logic (for what it's worth given most of us are only theroising) says, bigger output should heat the water quicker, but then thats governed by the temperature you set... perhaps its just a case of 'you can't have it both ways'
You're probably enjoying hot water quicker compared to the old boiler, plus its probably more capable of doing it in a sustained way (filling baths for instance)

Mike_P

Guru
Trick with hot water from a combi is to run the tap at a moderate rate and fill a small container up with it (for flushing the loo) or the small sink of a kitchen sink. The water should then (might be two small containers worth) be hot enough to use.

Top Bottom