Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Our monthly outlay for both electricity and gas (actual readings not estimated) is generally around £130 total.
This last bill before the increases, £110.

Be interesting to see what next months bill beholds.

aferris2

Guru
Just checked my account with Scotish Power. They gave me these tempting offers....
scotpower.jpg

We're currently on £200 per month (yes it is a big house!)

Our fixed rate contract ran out earlier this year so we've been on the variable rate ever since. I've been checking the smart meter regularly to see if there's any update to the rates but it's still stuck on the pre-April rates.
Anyone noticed how hard it is to find the current charges on the websites? In the case of Scotish Power, it seems this is impossible.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just checked my account with Scotish Power. They gave me these tempting offers....
View attachment 638716

Our fixed rate contract ran out earlier this year so we've been on the variable rate ever since. I've been checking the smart meter regularly to see if there's any update to the rates but it's still stuck on the pre-April rates.
Anyone noticed how hard it is to find the current charges on the websites? In the case of Scotish Power, it seems this is impossible.

I had similar offers from SP but my bill is/was about £250-£300 pm.

Cut the hot tub luxury use right down, don't heat water unless we decide we use it. Saved more than the increase in the bill. Will revise the DD back down next month.:okay:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
View attachment 638716

Wtf !!! I’m in a large 5 bed , and currently paying £260 by DD to cover both . Fixed deals are to be avoided by all accounts !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I had similar offers from SP but my bill is/was about £250-£300 pm.

Cut the hot tub luxury use right down, don't heat water unless we decide we use it. Saved more than the increase in the bill. Will revise the DD back down next month.:okay:
Yes hot tub will be staying in the shed this year ! No way I’m a burning that over spring/ summer !

midlife

Guru
British Gas who supply me with electric dropped me a letter today to say that my fixed rate ends at the end of this month and I'm back on their variable rate. Yep, knew that. Yearly electric bill goes from £2000 to £3000 according to them, then add in the oil bill for the heating :smile:

I can absorb the cost but blimey there must be millions of people staring into the abyss......

Reactions: gbb
Article in a few papers yesterday saying that there is legislation going through allowing energy companies to make smart meters sending updates every 30 minutes the default.
You can opt out and make it different e.g. once a day.
This, as the articles say , leads into having the price change depending on the time of day.
Hence - at peak times the price can be raised to give people an incentive to use less then - then at times of lower demand the price can be lowered to encourage people to use more .

When I was with Octopus (or Bulb - I forget) I had a message saing that they were looking at this - and in the extreme they could even end up paying you to use excess electricity at times when the generation was there but no-one wqas using it - e.e. if the nuclear power stations are on idle they still produce electricity but in the middle of the night no-one is using it.
One concept was that you could potentially charge your car up and get paid to do it!!

Seems like a good idea to some extent - but it would make life more complicated for people - and some people don;t have a lot of choices about what they can do when.

Also - to be cynical (what me - surely not!!) you have to suspect someone in the energy company is looking at this and wondering how they can 'leverage' (i.e. use) this to increase profits without it looking like they are putting prices up!

aferris2

Guru
Wtf !!! I’m in a large 5 bed , and currently paying £260 by DD to cover both . Fixed deals are to be avoided by all accounts !
Yeah. Listed building so solid walls and no double glazing although we do have as much insulation in the attic as possible. We are allowed to fit secondary double glazing but it looks pretty awful and we do like the traditional look.

I don't think it's possible to sign up for the standard variable (capped) rate with SP. I guess this just loses money for them so they push the fixed term "deals" which must fall outside the cap. Are they allowed to overcharge on fixed term deals to make up for the losses on the variable rate?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yeah. Listed building so solid walls and no double glazing although we do have as much insulation in the attic as possible. We are allowed to fit secondary double glazing but it looks pretty awful and we do like the traditional look.

I don't think it's possible to sign up for the standard variable (capped) rate with SP. I guess this just loses money for them so they push the fixed term "deals" which must fall outside the cap. Are they allowed to overcharge on fixed term deals to make up for the losses on the variable rate?
I dunno about the deals but dreading Sept when I renew. When I jumped on this current deal it was an extra £100 a month what I had already been paying from previous year. Currently in the green as of this month and should be more in credit as we move through spring and summer.

Our house is fairly modern so timber frame cavity insulation etc . Double glazing albeit , we were quoted £26k to change them to more modern glazing . ( we have alot of windows ! ) . Energy bill is going to be a lot more than my current mortgage payment !

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
And the price of vegetables is due to go up by 30% too. That's only the start, everything else will follow. Millions are going to be in the poverty line by the end of the year. Gloomy picture indeed and no one knows how far it is going to go.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And the price of vegetables is due to go up by 30% too. That's only the start, everything else with follow. Millions are going to be in the poverty line by the end of the year. Gloomy picture indeed and no one knows how far it is going to go.

It's not looking good - we've had an increase in student's needing additional financial help to get to placements. Some are in financial dire straights :sad:

Mike_P

Guru
Wonder how much would be saved nationally if
frozen vegetables were boiled solely for the 2.5-6 minutes recommended on the packets.

Top Bottom