Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just had this months gas bill……£27.23.
electric will be around £65…….so thats £92, e-on wanted me to pay a direct debit of £185 a month, if i did that since april i would now be nearly £400 in credit.

rualexander

Legendary Member
electric will be around £65…….so thats £92, e-on wanted me to pay a direct debit of £185 a month, if i did that since april i would now be nearly £400 in credit.

Which might get you through a couple of months this winter, if you're lucky 😬

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We already have a very old multi-fuel burner in our back room which does an excellent job of keeping the house warm during winter days. It doesn't though give enough heat for the front room to be comfortable of an evening.

As it seems gas prices will remain high till 2024 we're considering putting a small wood burner in the living room. An open fire is very cosy but also very inefficient.

I have a good supply of free logs so a bit of extra foraging for wood could mean we don't need to use the CH most of the time.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

I’m not much more right now ! Come winter it’s a different story !

jowwy

Which might get you through a couple of months this winter, if you're lucky 😬

It staying in my bank, no way im paying a 185 monthly direct debit……..i pay when the bill arrives and for what i use.

also got the governments £66 a month for 6 months too add ro the winter payments. So that will help the sting a bit.

si_c

Guru
We've just had the first full month in the house, just the two of us although we did have my MIL staying with us for a week, £18 for Gas, £61 for electricity, and given that I work from home and use a fairly powerful computer I'll take that happily. DD is set for £130 which I think is reasonable for the moment, although I expect to be in credit by the end of winter. We've been living in a cold house for years and are used to using blankets/jumpers instead of turning up the heating.
ours will get a bit higher come winter, but not a lot……..
I'm genuinely curious as to what ours will be, I've done a lot of insulation work on the property before we moved in (and I plan to re-do whats in the loft as well) so hopefully the cost of heating will be low-ish.

jowwy

We've just had the first full month in the house, just the two of us although we did have my MIL staying with us for a week, £18 for Gas, £61 for electricity, and given that I work from home and use a fairly powerful computer I'll take that happily. DD is set for £130 which I think is reasonable for the moment, although I expect to be in credit by the end of winter. We've been living in a cold house for years and are used to using blankets/jumpers instead of turning up the heating.

I'm genuinely curious as to what ours will be, I've done a lot of insulation work on the property before we moved in (and I plan to re-do whats in the loft as well) so hopefully the cost of heating will be low-ish.

my electric just came in at £65....i work fromm home too, but my bedroom office runs on solar and i cook mainly outside on outdoor grill and pizza oven

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Energy companies appear to be trying to set DDs so you will be at zero next April without increasing over the winter. I'm not sure whether this is genuinely trying to avoid people needing to increase energy payments at the same time as Christmas spending, or trying to bolster their balances until they can increase prices again.

Either way, I prefer the money I'm putting aside for this winter to be in my savings account (earning a little interest for me instead of them) rather than my electricity account ( earning nothing).

si_c

Guru
Energy companies appear to be trying to set DDs so you will be at zero next April without increasing over the winter. I'm not sure whether this is genuinely trying to avoid people needing to increase energy payments at the same time as Christmas spending, or trying to bolster their balances until they can increase prices again.

Either way, I prefer the money I'm putting aside for this winter to be in my savings account (earning a little interest for me instead of them) rather than my electricity account ( earning nothing).

AIUI, they're required to make sure people have the option to manage their fuel bills such that they won't be unable to afford monthly payments over the winter without seeing large shock bills and to help people budget. It's easy to just blame them for maximising how much of your money they have it's easy enough to opt out if you want to. Either doing what you are or just opting for full monthly billing.

Personally I'm lazy and so for making my life easier I prefer to have a fixed payment month to month, if I do build up to big of a credit balance then it's easy enough to request it back.

jowwy

AIUI, they're required to make sure people have the option to manage their fuel bills such that they won't be unable to afford monthly payments over the winter without seeing large shock bills and to help people budget. It's easy to just blame them for maximising how much of your money they have it's easy enough to opt out if you want to. Either doing what you are or just opting for full monthly billing.

Personally I'm lazy and so for making my life easier I prefer to have a fixed payment month to month, if I do build up to big of a credit balance then it's easy enough to request it back.

Not all of them allow payment on receipt of bill though…..and quite a few of them wont allow to reduce your DDs either.

Top Bottom