Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
So you didn't have insurance before 2019, right?

?????

Motor insurance has been legally required for any car on the road for a LONG time before 2019 - since 1930 in fact.

D

Deleted member 26715

Until 2019, owner-drivers still had the option of depositing £500k with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court instead.

I wasn't ware this had been withdrawn, I was under the impression it was still a viable option, but maybe unlike yourself I do not have a spare £500K down the side of the sofa & strangely enough a friend who has several multiple of £500K available to do this chooses not to.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How does the failure of, say, Bulb, make my non-Bulb meter cost more to maintain?

It is more insurance than connection cost now.

We the consumer are paying for the failure of these energy companies, through the standing charge . They have all doubled it or more ??!! The Gov/Ofgem have passed that cost onto us. As I’ve said a fake energy market filled with companies betting on the price of energy . It’s all come crumbling down !

Again my understanding?

icowden

Veteran
We the consumer are paying for the failure of these energy companies, through the standing charge . They have all doubled it or more ??!! The Gov/Ofgem have passed that cost onto us. As I’ve said a fake energy market filled with companies betting on the price of energy . It’s all come crumbling down !
Yes, because of the Government who capped wholesale prices such that they forced companies into administration.

gzoom

Über Member
How many months of the year do you enjoy this position?

For June - July - August, its pretty easy to reach 0 grid electricity usage for us, the biggest 'drain' is our EV, everything else in the house can easily be covered by solar.

The difference this year versus last, is that I've started to actually use our local Tesla Supercharger to recharge the car versus using home electricity. We have 'free for life' charging/usage of Tesla charges bundled in with the car as we bought it back in 2016 when Tesla was predicted to go bankrupt, so it was essentially a teaser to attract customers. When electricity was cheap (6p per kWh at one stage in 2015 I remember) it didn't matter, but domestic electricity rate now means the refuel cost of our EV is approaching 10p/mile which means a 30 minute stop to recharge for 'free' once/twice a week timed with doing some work/email stuff now makes sense.

Using the eBike is obviously another easy way to reduce transport costs too.

52163626074_1b722040b0_c_d.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For June - July - August, its pretty easy to reach 0 grid electricity usage for us, the biggest 'drain' is our EV, everything else in the house can easily be covered by solar.

The difference this year versus last, is that I've started to actually use our local Tesla Supercharger to recharge the car versus using home electricity. We have 'free for life' charging/usage of Tesla charges bundled in with the car as we bought it back in 2016 when Tesla was predicted to go bankrupt, so it was essentially a teaser to attract customers. When electricity was cheap (6p per kWh at one stage in 2015 I remember) it didn't matter, but domestic electricity rate now means the refuel cost of our EV is approaching 10p/mile which means a 30 minute stop to recharge for 'free' once/twice a week timed with doing some work/email stuff now makes sense.

Using the eBike is obviously another easy way to reduce transport costs too.

View attachment 650241

So how much did the leccy stuff cost to fit ? For it to work ?

There will be no e-bikes for me in this house. OLD SKOOL programming, and my mates have this, despite some major injuries we have revovered from...

Alex321

Veteran
So how much did the leccy stuff cost to fit ? For it to work ?
Ours, for a 10.4Kw system, with a 16KwH battery will be a total of around £20,000 when the battery finally arrives.

Projections are that we will be generating around 9000 KwH per year, and last year we used less than 3000 (it was fitted mid-February, and we have generated 4,900 so far, so the projections if anything look pessimistic). There will still be periods in the winter when we can't quite generate enough to cover overnight use, but based on this year, I would expect April - October at least to be pretty well entirely self-generated, and in a good year March & November may be as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Alex321 I'm currently paying 19.2 per KwH which at 9000 pa would mean your £20000 will take at least 11½ years to breakeven.

9000 x 19.2 = £1728pa
£20000 / £1728 = 11.5 years

Presumably you sell spare capacity to the grid and this would be at less than 19.2? I presume the price would vary to mirror the energy market? Then there are maintenance costs.

At what point does the investment breakeven?

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Got the monthly email from British Gas showing my statement is available online though I'm not sure why BG bothers. I've paid all the bills on time! I'm a simple man and will keep on reading the meters!

22nd Jun 2022£374.53
Download
5th Jun 2022£331.52Bill cancelled & replaced
9th May 2022£43.01Bill cancelled & replaced
6th May 2022£43.01Bill cancelled & replaced
11th Apr 2022£43.01Bill cancelled & replaced
30th Mar 2022£520.65
Download
28th Mar 2022£76.91
Download
22nd Dec 2021£76.91Bill cancelled & replaced
9th Dec 2021£88.02Not ready

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@Alex321 I'm currently paying 19.2 per KwH which at 9000 pa would mean your £20000 will take at least 11½ years to breakeven.

9000 x 19.2 = £1728pa
£20000 / £1728 = 11.5 years

Presumably you sell spare capacity to the grid and this would be at less than 19.2? I presume the price would vary to mirror the energy market? Then there are maintenance costs.

At what point does the investment breakeven?

for people on a default tarif paying 29.7p/kwh would have a lower payback time to breakeven. Also not everyone uses 9000kwh pa.......

So far since january i have averaged 180kwh per month if we times that by 12 = 2160kwh for the year........but this month so far i have used 120kwh and yesterday only used 4kwh for the day. So not everyone would need such a big system that @Alex321 is using and paid for.

The reason for my low usage...i have no kids, its just me and the Mrs, i cook a lot outdoors on the gas grill and now pizza oven, my office runs on solar for 7hrs...and during the day its only the Mrs downstairs using a very low wattage Tv and Skyq box. All sockets not being used are switched off just leaving the Fridge freezer, small freezer and broadband hub using power........

Yes i it may be very rare that such low power uses are that common, but as i sit and type here now, im using full solar and not an ounce of energy from the grid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom