Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
the definition of insurance

1655972392360.png

its something that provides protection of a possible eventuality happening.....you pay pet insurnace in case your pet becomes ill, lets say.

Paying to be connected to the grid, but not using the grid, is in a way protecting you against losses in solar, wind or hydro..if your getting energy in any of those ways. if you dont pay the standard connection charge, then you get no connection and therefore no protection against loss of energy.

D

Deleted member 26715

you are aware you no longer need to pay for line rental on telephone lines, unless you actually use the landline, then you need to pay

Try getting broadband in most of the country without line rental, most now have got around Ofcom's ruling by changing the price structure like we told them they would.

jowwy

Try getting broadband in most of the country without line rental, most now have got around Ofcom's ruling by changing the price structure like we told them they would.

you can get broadband with BT without paying line rental.......cause i do, i removed the landline and line rental charges and my broadband costs stay exactly the same.....it hasnt gone up to replace the cost of not having to pay line rental. if it was part of the braodband charges, it would mean you was paying twice for the line rental

D

Deleted member 26715

the definition of insurance

View attachment 650143

its something that provides protection of a possible eventuality happening.....you pay pet insurnace in case your pet becomes ill, lets say.

Paying to be connected to the grid, but not using the grid, is in a way protecting you against losses in solar, wind or hydro..if your getting energy in any of those ways. if you dont pay the standard connection charge, then you get no connection and therefore no protection against loss of energy.

For somebody who doesn't want to argue you're putting on a good show

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're using the oven less, and the air fryer more. Although, at the caravan, we've been careful with gas use if we need a little heat as there are severe shortages of gas bottles, and our van runs on four big propane bottles which you change two at a time (£85 each) but can only buy 1 as we are limited.

D

Deleted member 26715

you can get broadband with BT without paying line rental.......cause i do

Okay if you say so, you know best, but if you want to check your homework, it's just a pricing exercise they just rename what they charge you, you can have, line rental for £16.99 with broadband for £9.99 total £26.98 or you can have broadband with no line rental for £26.98 now this is really semantics, as Openreach still get their cut.

jowwy

For somebody who doesn't want to argue you're putting on a good show

and for the last 5 months of me not posting on here, lots of people have been arguing who state they never were and it was all my fault.......go figure

jowwy

Okay if you say so, you know best, but if you want to check your homework, it's just a pricing exercise they just rename what they charge you, you can have, line rental for £16.99 with broadband for £9.99 total £26.98 or you can have broadband with no line rental for £26.98 now this is really semantics, as Openreach still get their cut.

no...i pay £35 for broadband, or i can pay £55 that includes line rental and phone connection. i chose the £35 option...therefore no line rental and phone connection.....

jowwy

We're using the oven less, and the air fryer more. Although, at the caravan, we've been careful with gas use if we need a little heat as there are severe shortages of gas bottles, and our van runs on four big propane bottles which you change two at a time (£85 each) but can only buy 1 as we are limited.

it does make you think about the cost of things fossy.......im using more of the outdoor cooking options at the house and not using the oven and hob as much indoors.

icowden

Veteran
you are aware you no longer need to pay for line rental on telephone lines, unless you actually use the landline, then you need to pay
Nope. You pay for line rental if you want a telephone line regardless of whether you choose to use it.

icowden

Veteran
you obviously didnt read the posts above....

I did, but that has nothing to do with your statement which was incorrect. If I write 5 posts about fish , four of which are accurate but one of which is that fish are trees, it doesn't mean that that post is also accurate.

It also doesn't make your assertions that the fixed charge to remain connected to the grid is a form of insurance. It is a payment for a service that the person wants to pay for, not hedging a bet.

jowwy

I did, but that has nothing to do with your statement which was incorrect. If I write 5 posts about fish , four of which are accurate but one of which is that fish are trees, it doesn't mean that that post is also accurate.

It also doesn't make your assertions that the fixed charge to remain connected to the grid is a form of insurance. It is a payment for a service that the person wants to pay for, not hedging a bet.

right - in the past you had to pay line rental if you wanted broadband, but not a phone.....its no longer the case. you dont have to pay for landline rental, just to recieve broadband. casing point

Broadband £35
Line rental £14.99
Various phone charges £9.99

i chose to remove the line rental and various phone charges and only pay £35 for broadband. If as phaeton states the line rental charge is within the braodband payment, then BT would have been charging me twice for line rental.........which wasnt allowed.

I hope that ends the confusion over the 4 various posts that you state was incorrect.

as for the point i highlighted, i know people who stay connected to the grid as an insurance against energy losses, they dont need to be connected, as they havent use grid power for some years....but they still pay the charge, just in case of that one time they need ( thats called insurance)....its like carrying a coat in the summer, just in case it rains, but the forecast tells you it wont happen. its a form of insurance, its protecting you against an event happening.

The service charge has risen due to power companies insuring against losses of other power suppliers and passing the charges onto their customers........it didnt need to happen, but it did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

right - in the past you had to pay line rental if you wanted broadband, but not a phone.....its no longer the case. you dont have to pay for landline rental, just to recieve broadband. casing point

Broadband £35
Line rental £14.99
Various phone charges £9.99

i chose to remove the line rental and various phone charges and only pay £35 for broadband. If as phaeton states the line rental charge is within the braodband payment, then BT would have been charging me twice for line rental.........which wasnt allowed.

I hope that ends the confusion over the 4 various posts that you state was incorrect.

as for the point i highlighted, i know people who stay connected to the grid as an insurance against energy losses, they dont need to be connected, as they havent use grid power for some years....but they still pay the charge, just in case of that one time they need ( thats called insurance)....its like carrying a coat in the summer, just in case it rains, but the forecast tells you it wont happen. its a form of insurance, its protecting you against an event happening.

The service charge has risen due to power companies insuring against losses of other power suppliers and passing the charges onto their customers........it didnt need to happen, but it did.

Sorry but you are incorrect & have been fooled by BT's clever marketing department, you can paint stripes on a Donkey & call it a Zebra but it's still a Donkey underneath. BT have no physical way of getting the broadband to your home without Openreach for which they have to pay line rental, they just don't provide you with a phone number.

The reason why this was not possible before was the whole BT system was designed around the phone number premises link, not circuit number premises link.

jowwy

Sorry but you are incorrect & have been fooled by BT's clever marketing department, you can paint stripes on a Donkey & call it a Zebra but it's still a Donkey underneath. BT have no physical way of getting the broadband to your home without Openreach for which they have to pay line rental, they just don't provide you with a phone number.

The reason why this was not possible before was the whole BT system was designed around the phone number premises link, not circuit number premises link.

so why hasnt my broadband charged increased after removing the line rental???

Top Bottom