Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Sorry but you are incorrect & have been fooled by BT's clever marketing department, you can paint stripes on a Donkey & call it a Zebra but it's still a Donkey underneath. BT have no physical way of getting the broadband to your home without Openreach for which they have to pay line rental, they just don't provide you with a phone number.

The reason why this was not possible before was the whole BT system was designed around the phone number premises link, not circuit number premises link.

And this is true of other providers such as Sky, Virgin etc. They all use openreach infrastructure to get the broadband to your house.

icowden

Veteran
so why hasnt my broadband charged increased after removing the line rental???
Wrong question. Why hasn't your broadband charge decreased after removing the line rental. If you aren't paying for it, then you should be paying less?
Add to that the move to get rid of the copper line in favour of VOIP and there is no need for "line rental" at all, as voice calls become part of the broadband.

Alex321

Veteran
it is.......but its ok if you dont agree with me, im not hear to argue with people who may or may not have a different opinion to myself.

of you want to argue the symantics, go and do it with someone else.

It isn't semantics at all. It is a completely different concept.

Insurance, you are paying a premium to cover yourself against something you hope never happens. Effectively making a bet you hope to lose.

Standing charge for a service, you are paying for something you get (the connection to the grid). You can reasonably argue that it could all be subsumed into the unit charge, and so it is technically unnecessary but that still doesn't make it a payment for something you hope doesn't happen.

Alex321

Veteran
the definition of insurance

View attachment 650143

its something that provides protection of a possible eventuality happening.....you pay pet insurnace in case your pet becomes ill, lets say.

Paying to be connected to the grid, but not using the grid, is in a way protecting you against losses in solar, wind or hydro..if your getting energy in any of those ways. if you dont pay the standard connection charge, then you get no connection and therefore no protection against loss of energy.

Ok, I see where your misunderstanding lies.

Firstly, hardly any home production systems will actually supply your property without a grid connection. If the street gets a power cut, so do you, even if your solar is generating 10Kw.

Secondly, we almost all export suplus electricity back to the grid, for which we still need that connection paid for by the standing charge.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Firstly, hardly any home production systems will actually supply your property without a grid connection. If the street gets a power cut, so do you, even if your solar is generating 10Kw.

not if you have battery storage as part of the solar system, it can then switch to battery supply via a smart controller..........

1655977029535.png

D

Deleted member 26715

True
but they still use the same cabinets as OpenReach - so if teh cab looses power all the lines go
they probably use some common connections as well - but I'm not up to date with that

This will depend if they are on their own network or piggybacking, if on their own network @jowwy is correct it's fibre to the premises but the percentage of UK homes with direct fibre is very low.

@jowwy you are still incorrect but unlike yourself I am not going to argue the point with somebody who does not want to learn/listen even when being provided with the facts from somebody who is actively involved in the industry.

jowwy

This will depend if they are on their own network or piggybacking, if on their own network @jowwy is correct it's fibre to the premises but the percentage of UK homes with direct fibre is very low.

@jowwy you are still incorrect but unlike yourself I am not going to argue the point with somebody who does not want to learn/listen even when being provided with the facts from somebody who is actively involved in the industry.

yet you've been arguing for the past how many posts, even though your not arguing.......strange that.

Back to the solar @Alex321 my current home office runs purely on solar with no grid connection, solar direct to solar generator which strores the power for me to use.......but i can plug into the grid if required via a plug if i dont produce enough solar, but that hasnt happened for a while

Alex321

Veteran
yet you've been arguing for the past how many posts, even though your not arguing.......strange that.

Back to the solar @Alex321 my current home office runs purely on solar with no grid connection, solar direct to solar generator which strores the power for me to use.......but i can plug into the grid if required via a plug if i dont produce enough solar, but that hasnt happened for a while

Yours is unusual, even when you have a battery. Most require a permanent connection - I'm not sure why.
[EDIT] I think yours works without connection because it is a separate stand alone system, not your main household supply.
[/EDIT]

At the moment, we are still waiting for our battery, so we are using electricity from the grid overnight anyhow :sad:

TBH, I'm getting a bit pee'd off about how long it is taking for that. The main system was installed in February and they have kept putting back the date they are due to receive the shipment of batteries (we don't pay for the battery until it is installed, so there is no benefit to them in delaying).

Last edited:

jowwy

Yours is unusual, even when you have a battery. Most require a permanent connection - I'm not sure why.
[EDIT] I think yours works without connection because it is a separate stand alone system, not your main household supply.
[/EDIT]

At the moment, we are still waiting for our battery, so we are using electricity from the grid overnight anyhow :sad:

TBH, I'm getting a bit pee'd off about how long it is taking for that. The main system was installed in February and they have kept putting back the date they are due to receive the shipment of batteries (we don't pay for the battery until it is installed, so there is no benefit to them in delaying).

but you do agree ( as i posted the system above) that there options out there now that dont require you to be grid tied, therfore you can still have power during a blackout.......i am a member of a solar forum and some of the ways they have come up with systems electronics to run houses ( mostly america and canada) is pretty smart. even building their own apps and coding systems to allow their solar to swutch to battery and back in case of blackouts from the grid.....they get the best of all worlds that way, so they get paid for exporting, get free power from the sun ( after paying for the system install) and have backup options if theres no grid power/blackout. lots of clever people out there

Alex321

Veteran
but you do agree ( as i posted the system above) that there options out there now that dont require you to be grid tied, therfore you can still have power during a blackout.......i am a member of a solar forum and some of the ways they have come up with systems electronics to run houses ( mostly america and canada) is pretty smart. even building their own apps and coding systems to allow their solar to swutch to battery and back in case of blackouts from the grid.....they get the best of all worlds that way, so they get paid for exporting, get free power from the sun ( after paying for the system install) and have backup options if theres no grid power/blackout. lots of clever people out there

Yes, there are ways in which you can. As I said, they are unusual to have installed as your main household power source in this country, but I agree you can get them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry but you are incorrect & have been fooled by BT's clever marketing department, you can paint stripes on a Donkey & call it a Zebra but it's still a Donkey underneath.
And BT really are Donkeys. The loyalty of some to the unjust privatised monopoly is disappointing and means it is still nearly a monopoly (34% market share, while I think 40% is one current legal definition). The surviving privatised former energy monopolies (British Gas and SSE: all others have been bought out) would have loved that sort of position.

so why hasnt my broadband charged increased after removing the line rental???
Maybe you were overpaying before.

Cheaper systems synchronise to the grid frequency.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Right the standing charge from my understanding is to cover meter costs, whatever that maybe ? Now you can argue to the cows come home whether that’s fair or not . The cost has gone up and that’s partly due to the failure of these fake energy companies ( that’s how I see them ) . So to recoup those losses we are all paying more in standing charges. That’s on record I believe . It’s not insurance , compare all you like but it’s not. So I think it’s a racket ? In some ways I do , but I also feel the same for the cost of energy . A price variance is evident for all over the UK.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Right the standing charge from my understanding is to cover meter costs, whatever that maybe ? Now you can argue to the cows come home whether that’s fair or not . The cost has gone up and that’s partly due to the failure of these fake energy companies ( that’s how I see them ) .
How does the failure of, say, Bulb, make my non-Bulb meter cost more to maintain?

It is more insurance than connection cost now.

Top Bottom