Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Got my first gas bill from EDF today. I was transferred to them in January after my previous supplier went bust.
EDF only bill every 6 months, and I'm used to monthly bills, so I haven't known where I stand until now.
They are going to increase my DD from £51 to £62 per month. It's a smaller increase than I expected.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I like pizza but not sure I could eat every day :laugh: ! However we are thinking of buying an Ooni !

I cooked lasagne and garlic ciabatta bread in it on monday, not just for pizza……today its salmon with fresh garlic and basil butter ( basil and garlic home grown) with a mixed leaf salad ( also homegrown)

presta

Guru
Ha ha! :laugh:

No, it is how I have lived for a long time now. When people were complaining about lockdown it made me realise that my lifestyle isn't quite 'normal' because it hardly made any difference to me... :whistle:
Same here. I live alone, and the only reason I go out is for food & exercise, so lockdown wasn't any different to normal. All the complaints about how hard lockdown was fell on deaf ears TBH.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Ha ha! :laugh:

No, it is how I have lived for a long time now. When people were complaining about lockdown it made me realise that my lifestyle isn't quite 'normal' because it hardly made any difference to me... :whistle:

Same here. I live alone, and the only reason I go out is for food & exercise, so lockdown wasn't any different to normal. All the complaints about how hard lockdown was fell on deaf ears TBH.
Yet another living alone who it made virtually zero difference to, my lifestyle being an anti social loner! :laugh:

gzoom

Über Member
My last 3 days of energy comsumption since aquiring the pizza oven is 5.5kwh sunday, 5kwh monday and 4kwh yesterday. With electrical costs rising the way they are, they will all pay themselves back in no time.
This is our current electricity consumption for the house this month....negative 9kWh. Looking at the weather report this month should see us hit net 0 grid electricity.....still have to pay the 49p/day standing charge though :rolleyes:

52163467267_948031131e_c_d.jpg

jowwy

This is our current electricity consumption for the house this month....negative 9kWh. Looking at the weather report this month should see us hit net 0 grid electricity.....still have to pay the 49p/day standing charge though :rolleyes:

View attachment 650110

I suppose the standard charge is just like paying insurance for you though, against not getting as much solar uptake as you require down the line.

i mean some of us pay for health insurance or pet insurance , just in case we have an health issues or pet issues, rather than paying when it happens, the standard charge for electric is just like that

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I suppose the standard charge is just like paying insurance for you though, against not getting as much solar uptake as you require down the line.

i mean some of us pay for health insurance or pet insurance , just in case we have an health issues or pet issues, rather than paying when it happens, the standard charge for electric is just like that

The standing charge for Electricity or Gas is nothing remotely similar to insurance.

It is a charge you pay for the service of being connected to the grid.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The standing charge for Electricity or Gas is nothing remotely similar to insurance.

It’s also went up to pay for it the failure of the companies that have collapsed in this “competitive” energy market

Reactions: mjr

jowwy

it is.......but its ok if you dont agree with me, im not hear to argue with people who may or may not have a different opinion to myself.

of you want to argue the symantics, go and do it with someone else.

jowwy

It’s also went up to pay for it the failure of the companies that have collapsed in this “competitive” energy market

the same as insurance goes up when people make spurious claims and adds costs to the industry....again its symantics, we dont need insurances and in a way we dont need standing charges either, could all just be on the cost per unit instead

the same as insurance goes up when people make spurious claims and adds costs to the industry....again its symantics, we dont need insurances and in a way we dont need standing charges either, could all just be on the cost per unit instead
It's not insurance. A better comparison would be line rental for your telephone. you're paying to be connected to the system. Nothing to do with semantics

jowwy

It's not insurance. A better comparison would be line rental for your telephone. you're paying to be connected to the system. Nothing to do with semantics

in a way it is....hes paying a standing charge to be connected to the grid, even though he doesnt always need it, so in a way insuring himself against solar losses in the future, by using grid electric........

you are aware you no longer need to pay for line rental on telephone lines, unless you actually use the landline, then you need to pay

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's not because it's not related to the cost of maintaining that connection. It hasn't become twice as expensive to be connected since last year. We are paying more to insure against private suppliers failing. A direct illustration of a cost of speculative investments in what's really a monopoly.

Top Bottom