Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
either up or down within their estimated yearly bill.
This is exactly how I have worked for as long as possible as the advent of online billing etc gave the opportunity. Prior to this we used a DD which was expected to cover the annual cost by building up a summer credit etc. which usually worked well. Online billing was fantastic as I was able to control the DD to closely match consumption.

We've been offered the chance to fix till June '23. This morning's task is to analyse usage for the winter from historical bills with other suppliers to assess if a fixed rate is a viable option. On the face of it the fix will be no worse than the forecast increase from October.

In the last few minutes I've discovered the unit cost I am being billed at is lower than the tariff showing in my online account. One just couldn't make up the utter incompetence which is BG, they don't deserve to survive when much better companies in terms of customer service, flexibilty etc. have gone to the wall.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
People sag off Scottish Power, but I've had no difficulty, and their on-line billing etc is responsive with meter readings.

midlife

Guru
Being really old fashioned I pay BG quarterly when the bill drops through the door. It does appear in my online account but I make them wait.....

Paying 3 months in one go does concentrate te mind when it's 4 figures next time!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
People sag off Scottish Power, but I've had no difficulty, and their on-line billing etc is responsive with meter readings.

My son is in Supported Living in the Community and I run the utility account with Scottish Power on behalf of the residents.

Agree with what you say and part of today's task will be to look at a switch to SP.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I pay when I read the meters. The gas was £250 for 3 months and the electric for 1 month was £53.00. For the same month May last year it was £38.00. The Gas was about £30.00 more expensive for the quarter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All I would say, is don't let the bills run for 3 months before checking, unless it's a low useage household, and you've not reviewed what you are paying. At least with Scottish Power, they give me the last 3 years use, both cost and KWh, so I can compare - cost isn't a great comparison since April.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Being really old fashioned I pay BG quarterly when the bill drops through the door. It does appear in my online account but I make them wait.....

Paying 3 months in one go does concentrate te mind when it's 4 figures next time!
They charge you more for paying that way, though.

Mine has go from £80pm - to £225 a month in the space of a year. thankfully I don't have a mortgage so not to much stress - but im living on the edge - still got 11 speed di2 - which makes me physically sick every time I look at it - its though its mocking me "Not got 12 speed yet"

Scaleyback

Veteran
Mine has go from £80pm - to £225 a month in the space of a year. thankfully I don't have a mortgage so not to much stress - but im living on the edge - still got 11 speed di2 - which makes me physically sick every time I look at it - its though its mocking me "Not got 12 speed yet"

That is a huge jump ? I also was paying Octopus £80.00 a month a year ago. I am now paying £160.00 a month that is certainly more than adequate at this time of the year. Probably need to increase again come octobers expected hike.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
They charge you more for paying that way, though.

Yes but you just pay for what you use. I was reading a conversation about energy on Twitter and a woman who had worked in the energy industry advised this.People seem to be paying an awful lot via DD and estimates.
You know that £400 off everyone is getting , will this be on the electric does anyone know please?

Alex321

Veteran
Yes but you just pay for what you use. I was reading a conversation about energy on Twitter and a woman who had worked in the energy industry advised this.People seem to be paying an awful lot via DD and estimates.
You know that £400 off everyone is getting , will this be on the electric does anyone know please?

The "woman who worked in the energy industry" had a vested interest in people paying more.

You WILL pay more for your energy overall if you don't pay by DD. You only pay for what you use, no matter how you pay for it, but they all have either a discount for paying by DD, or a surcharge for not doing so.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The "woman who worked in the energy industry" had a vested interest in people paying more.

You WILL pay more for your energy overall if you don't pay by DD. You only pay for what you use, no matter how you pay for it, but they all have either a discount for paying by DD, or a surcharge for not doing so.

No she didnt because she no longer worked in it.
People who are on DD appear to be having massive price hikes, that I'm certainly not experiencing. Yes its going up a bit but not hundreds each month for my household.

Top Bottom