Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ref solar… What about the millions of people who don’t live in a house and/or don’t have a garden and/or don’t own the property they live in?

they can still have solar .......but can also do other things to lower their usage. Solar can by hung out or stuck to the window with window suckers to charge phones or ipads, they dont need to be fixed to roofs or led on the grass etc.....

jowwy

We have two freezers here at the moment, so we have decided to use up the food in the one and then switch it off until prices come back down, whenever that maybe......i also cook a lot outside in a gas pizza oven and gas plancher ( yes some people dont have that option i know).

Pizza yesterday in the oven took around 4/5mins each, but would take a lot longer in an oven and cost a lot more in electric. These are some of the things we have done to lower our electricity usage.

Last edited:
We were with British Gas, solar panels going in Monday, everybody said Octopus were the best company to be with for the tariff, as they offer the best on the export & there is cheaper overnight available. We were with them a couple of years ago & the account was still active, so I contacted them to switch our supply, somewhere process we ended up on their 12 months Fixed tariff, it looks like the things to come!

View attachment 657925

Quick contact with them & they have now put us on their variable, but logically it's going to be up there soon.

Ouch!

I was fortunate and got onto a 2 year fixed deal just before things went totally crazy.

Got electricity at 28.82p/kWhr and 24.86p/day until late 2023.

Hoping we return to some normality in the world by then!

D

Deleted member 26715

Ref solar… What about the millions of people who don’t live in a house and/or don’t have a garden and/or don’t own the property they live in?

Comes back to choices, some which you can make others you can't, somebody was going off on one the other day saying people shouldn't work more than X miles from where they live & they should move closer, but that's not feasible, not everybody can afford to move each time they get a job. Just like not everybody is in a position to buy their own house, have a roof, have a garden, if you had a South, South West or West facing surface & were allowed to put some panels up, but getting a landlord to agree might be problematic.

jowwy

The answer to all this is to nationalise all utilities, that is Gas, electric and water. They should be run as an service to the people of the country and not as profit making companies paying dividends and all that. Utilities are basic needs to all of us, not luxuries.

Too political…..carfeul gavroche, you be shipped over to the other place lol

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We were with British Gas, solar panels going in Monday, everybody said Octopus were the best company to be with for the tariff, as they offer the best on the export & there is cheaper overnight available. We were with them a couple of years ago & the account was still active, so I contacted them to switch our supply, somewhere process we ended up on their 12 months Fixed tariff, it looks like the things to come!

View attachment 657925

Quick contact with them & they have now put us on their variable, but logically it's going to be up there soon.

I recall reading that they put you on a different tariff until you/they are ready to feed in - I guess they pick an expensive one :smile:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The answer to all this is to nationalise all utilities, that is Gas, electric and water. They should be run as an service to the people of the country and not as profit making companies paying dividends and all that. Utilities are basic needs to all of us, not luxuries.

Exactly along with many other things which have been sold of to private sector to the detriment of society.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A couple of weeks back I spoke to an extremely helpful BG customer service person. He looked through my account, declared our initial readings on being moved to BG were incorrect. He gave me new readings and promised to get the account updated. Earlier in the week the new readings were applied and we are now £140 in credit.

He also organised an engineer to visit in September to fix the smart meters. I now believe this will happen.

I've been checking our daily consumption:

Gas: £0.07p
Electric: £1.79

D

Deleted member 26715

This is somebody else's quote, it's now started to get very scary & very real

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 18.35.33.png

D

Deleted member 26715

But if on solar, you wouldnt be paying anywhere near that a month surely????

That's not mine, it was just somebody I was talking to it was to show where the standing charge & rate is likely to go.

What I don't understand about the standing charge, wasn't it 19p a day or something like that, their costs cannot of risen 350% in the last 6 months

chris-suffolk

That's not mine, it was just somebody I was talking to it was to show where the standing charge & rate is likely to go.

What I don't understand about the standing charge, wasn't it 19p a day or something like that, their costs cannot of risen 350% in the last 6 months

From what I read somewhere, the increase in standing charge is being used to pay for suppliers that go bust, and all the costs of picking up their customers.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom