Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Thank you. Just to be certain I've got this right. My meter readings show usage of 1 m3 per day. Therefore:

1 x 39.2 / 3.6 = 10.88kWh

Cost = 10.88 x 7.343p = 79.89p per day

Plus the standing charge

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Plus the standing charge

Oh yes, I haven't forgotten that.......sadly. It's only consumption I can control which is why I'm concerned to learn more and monitor it closely. If there is one benefit from this whole sorry mess people like me who should have been more aware for decades have suddenly become so.

The actual conversion is:

Metered volume × metric conversion factor × daily calorific value × volume correction ÷ 3.6 = kilowatt hours (kWh) used.

metric conversion factor = 2.83 (meter type imperial) or 1 (meter type metric).
daily calorific value = between 37.5 to 43.0 (you can get actual CV data by date/region here)
volume correction = 1.02264

Which for you means:

Metered volume × CV × 1.02264 ÷ 3.6 = kWh used.

If you assume a nominal CV of 39.2: 1m3 = 11.135 kWh

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The calculations are on your bill as well. These d change slightly every couple of mnths - noticed the calorific value has changed for the gas.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The calculations are on your bill as well. These d change slightly every couple of mnths - noticed the calorific value has changed for the gas.

doesnt it change due to temperature of winter/summer???

D

Deleted member 26715

Oh yes, I haven't forgotten that.......sadly. It's only consumption I can control which is why I'm concerned to learn more and monitor it closely. If there is one benefit from this whole sorry mess people like me who should have been more aware for decades have suddenly become so.

I think you are completely right, I have not monitored our gas/electricity ever & I suspect the vast majority of people don't, but I do think these high prices are going to focus peoples minds. Unfortunately for some it will only after they have received the huge bill, that they may not be able to pay.

I've always been the one to go around switching the lights off wen the kids were little, but never been bothered about things on standby, I've been working out in the garden under a undercover area for the last few months using a laptop, but the desktop had always been switched on upstair in the office/bedroom along with 2 VoIP phones, why? no logical reason so they have been unplugged. I'm now looking for things that can be turned off & only turned on when needed

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As gas is what still powers over 50% of UK electricity generation.
42% over the last year, actually. Between 2012 and 2020, it actually halved on a pretty much straight line trend, but the reduction has stopped since then, so your general point still stands: we aren't moving to renewables fast enough to prevent problems this winter.

presta

Guru
There could have been another 15-20 million homes insulated by now .....

1661466770537.png

1661466849555.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

jowwy

Energy Cap risen to £3549......thats more than my yearly mortgage payment

gzoom

Über Member
Energy Cap risen to £3549......thats more than my yearly mortgage payment

Looking at our gas usage last winter, am estimating our gas bill for November to February will be £2.5-3k, versus £550 last year!!!

Ofcourse we will reduce the amount we use, but you cannot get around the massive jump in cost.

jowwy

Looking at our gas usage last winter, am estimating our gas bill for November to February will be £2.5-3k, versus £550 last year!!!

Ofcourse we will reduce the amount we use, but you cannot get around the massive jump in cost.

so you think you will be paying £700 per month just for gas over a 4mth period?? approx.....thats considerabley higher than the price cap

D

Deleted member 26715

What is the point of Ofgem when they can't do anything to control the price of energy except to make sure that the bosses and shareholders make a profit ! :angry:

From my experience you could expand that to Ofgem, Ofcom, Ofwat over the years I've dealt with them all & do not not feel they are on the consumers side, you also have to question the fact that a UK run resolution agency paid for by the UK taxpayer is now operated out of India.

Top Bottom