Energy supplier switch over question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Serious but maybe a dumb' to some question, How can a smart meter read gas amounts used? Please don't tell me they can't and i still have to climb under the fecking sink with my torch!!:sad:

Lozz360

Veteran
Smart meters transmit the readings automatically to your provider. So you can look back at the times you had to squeeze under the sink with a torch and chuckle. Should you wish to obtain your meter reading, for whatever reason, you do so by scrolling through the info on the smart meter.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Serious but maybe a dumb' to some question, How can a smart meter read gas amounts used? Please don't tell me they can't and i still have to climb under the fecking sink with my torch!!:sad:

There is the main electric smart meter. Then a separate smart meter that measures gas usage. The latter transmits it data back to the supplier via the former .

Drago

Legendary Member
With all the carnage in the energy market at the moment, and a lot of smaller companies expected to go to the wall, I'm quite blummen glad I don't have a smart meter right now.

Imagine having a smart meter and being, with say, Accy & Trilby Coal and Oil Power Corp. as your supplier.

The ATCOPC fold, and you're forced to switch supplier. Now, at the best of times this can be fraught, and even with the new meters tales abound of folk having problems...but when your existing supplier has gone bust and there is no one to hand over the necessary serial number and mac address data to the new supplier you're utterly doomed. Doomed, I tells ya!

Venod

Eh up
The ATCOPC fold, and you're forced to switch supplier. Now, at the best of times this can be fraught, and even with the new meters tales abound of folk having problems...but when your existing supplier has gone bust and there is no one to hand over the necessary serial number and mac address data to the new supplier you're utterly doomed. Doomed, I tells ya!

Our supplier doesn't do smart meters, but we have them, I just have to supply a reading every month.

I do much the same. I have our providers app on my tablet, read the old dumb meter and punch the numbers in every month.
Octopus keep nagging me to have a smart meter - keep ignoring - no great bother to read - and I don't entirely trust smart meters to not be hacked - if they are/ever were, they virtually broadcast when you are away.

Besides, Octopus put you in a wheel of fortune/cash draw every for every month's gas and electric reading you give - not that I have ever won even 100p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom