Energy supplier switch over question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm now officially with my new supplier. I've phoned the last ones,asking if they need me to send a meter reading to them. They said no i don't need to yet. I would've thought they'd want to know my meter reading for the 26 of July when i swapped over. How will they be able to work out how much i owe them or how much they need to refund me if they haven't a meter reading dated 26th of July. The date they stopped supplying me?🤔

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I'm now officially with my new supplier. I've phoned the last ones,asking if they need me to send a meter reading to them. They said no i don't need to yet. I would've thought they'd want to know my meter reading for the 26 of July when i swapped over. How will they be able to work out how much i owe them or how much they need to refund me if they haven't a meter reading dated 26th of July?🤔
Did your old supplier take a final reading?

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t know, long time since I switched. Have you checked the FAQs on the new suppliers site? Or your online account?
The actual billing switch maybe doesn’t happen at the same time as the supply switch. They’ll work it out

vickster

Legendary Member
Well you seem to manage to use the Internet?
just wait until they ask, they’ll do the sums, it’ll be a small difference probably anyway. when was the last reading given (all assuming no smart meter)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well you seem to manage to use the Internet?
just wait until they ask, they’ll do the sums, it’ll be a small difference probably anyway. when was the last reading given (all assuming no smart meter)
The last reading was about 16 months ago. They'll owe me quite a lot as i've been giving them £66 a month and probably using about £40 of their energy a month....for nearly the last 4 years.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No,i just can't do things like that.
Why not? You're on CC, it's no different.

To answer your question. The new supplier should request meter readings on the day the new supply starts. Your new supplier should send these to your old supplier within a certain timescale, I forget what it is.

I switch most years and take a reading on changeover day. I also photograph the meter as backup. It's a two minute job to provide all the needed information in case of a problem.

vickster

Legendary Member
The last reading was about 16 months ago. They'll owe me quite a lot as i've been giving them £66 a month and probably using about £40 of their energy a month....for nearly the last 4 years.
You should be able to work out then as you’ll know what credit you had then. Although suppliers do change tariffs regularly so you may have been overpaying less than you think.
Have a record from today, a day or two won’t make a difference

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I also photograph the meter as backup. It's a two minute job to provide all the needed information in case of a problem
It's impossible to photograph the gas meter reading! I've tried,but no luck. One hand holding a torch,one holding my phone/camera,so how do i press the number 9 digit? Whoever put that meter in the back of a cupboard like that is a thick @~#!!!!!!:cursing:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You should be able to work out then as you’ll know what credit you had then. Although suppliers do change tariffs regularly so you may have been overpaying less than you think.
Have a record from today, a day or two won’t make a difference
I've taken a reading of both meters. Seriously,this is doing my head in! Everything these days has to be done by yourself. No help whatsoever from the suppliers! You'd have thought PFP Energy would've sent someone round to read them,on my final day with them. Even when i spoke to a 'customer adviser' on the phone it was like they just weren't bothered!

Top Bottom