Energy supplier switch over question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
When my solar panels were first installed they made my 60's vintage leccy meter run backwards every time the sun shone.

I checked with the installer, and they confirmed that they had submitted the form with the necessary details of the installation and the meter to Western Power Distribution, who then took 6 years to do anything about it. So in NET terms I got 6 years free juice, and got to use the free power when the sun shone, and still got 3 or 400 quid a quarter feed in tariff - they were actually paying me good money to use their electricity!

Sadly, the gravy train did stop rolling when a new meter was fitted :sad:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm thinking that smart meters can't be 'fiddled',as in sorted so that whatever power you use isn't registered?🤔
For any of you out there with an old fashioned meter( not those outside in a white plastic box) if you want your leccy sorting PM me and a mate of mine will come and wire up your meter for 50 dabs!:secret:

Plus travel expenses to wherever you are in the country.:secret:

Lozz360

Veteran
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just been on the phone to my previous suppliers. They took £66 out of my bank account on the 2nd of August. I questioned why. They said it was for the energy used by me before the swap over. They then said that as usual it was an estimate and therefore some of it will be returned,along with £371.22 which they owe me from estimating my bills over nearly the last 4 years. They also said that I didn't/don't need to send in a final gas and electricity meter reading. I'm still baffled as to how they'll know how much I've used if i don't send a reading in?!🤔 I presume a smart meter sends the info' to them, but this is just an old type gas meter. :unsure:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I've just been on the phone to my previous suppliers. They took £66 out of my bank account on the 2nd of August. I questioned why. They said it was for the energy used by me before the swap over. They then said that as usual it was an estimate and therefore some of it will be returned,along with £371.22 which they owe me from estimating my bills over nearly the last 4 years. They also said that I didn't/don't need to send in a final gas and electricity meter reading. I'm still baffled as to how they'll know how much I've used if i don't send a reading in?!🤔 I presume a smart meter sends the info' to them, but this is just an old type gas meter. :unsure:
I believe the new supplier is obligated to send meter readings to your old supplier at switch over.

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't tne new supplier fitting a smart meter? They’ll take a reading from old when it’s removed presumably

But the new supplier doesn't know my readings either!🤔 Ah well,as long as i get my supposed £371 back i won't lose any sleep over it.
The £371 only exists on paper if you actually have underused energy to the estimated amount, but as you run tyour heating at 23C you might be using massively more than the estimated usage. The smart meter install will be months off, get onto the new and old suppliers webpage and input your figures now.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
£357 was put into my account by PFP Energy today. 14 quid less than they said it'd be, but i'm not bothered about that.:rolleyes: I'm just glad they gave me my money back! :okay: I imagined a legal battle with them, denying they owed me so much!

Question....Should i now close my direct debit with them in case they take the usual £66 out on the second of September? Or should i keep it open in case there's more money to come from them?🤔

£357 was put into my account by PFP Energy today. 14 quid less than they said it'd be, but i'm not bothered about that.:rolleyes: I'm just glad they gave me my money back! :okay: I imagined a legal battle with them, denying they owed me so much!

Question....Should i now close my direct debit with them in case they take the usual £66 out on the second of September? Or should i keep it open in case there's more money to come from them?🤔
I would close it and send them a message saying you have done so - they have your details so can communicate with you if they need to.

Top Bottom