Energy supplier switch over question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Can you use the timer function on your phone camera.
I don't even know if i have such a thing on my phone. :unsure:

Lozz360

Veteran
Going back to your original question. You would normally supply starting meter readings for your new provider. They then give these readings to your old supplier so they can issue you with a final bill.

Regarding taking the readings, do you have a smart meter? If so, you can get the readings from the display unit. Alternatively, some energy providers will read the meters for you if you are over 50. I don’t how old you are, I am just guessing that you are over 50 and refuse to have a smart meter.

southcoast

Über Member
In an ideal world this is how it should work. Mine fell some way short of this.

My change hasn’t been totally smooth either. I was unable to talk to my original supplier on the phone and web chat was unavailable. It took about 5 weeks for them to reply to my email and I’m still waiting for my rebate last time I checked my bank account. Seems impossible to contact some of these utility companies at the moment. I expect COVID is their excuse?

Lozz360

Veteran
I'm 60 and no i haven't refused a smart meter. Before i signed up to the new supplier 4 weeks ago they said they'd install a smart meter,asking if i was ok about that. I said yes.
Sorry, I was confusing you with someone who was saying on here some time ago that smart meters are to be avoided.

Anyway, the good news is, once you have a smart meter, you should no longer need to take meter readings.

Drago

Legendary Member
Im over 50 and refused a shart meter after the grief it caused my Ma. I even put a hoofing great armoured hasp and staple on the meter cupboard so they can't sneakily fit one while im not looking.

They - Shcottish Poower - keep sending me scary letters in which they downright lie and tell me that I have to have one by law, but I didn't fall for Nigerian scammers and ain't going to fall for that either.

Im over 50 and refused a shart meter after the grief it caused my Ma. I even put a hoofing great armoured hasp and staple on the meter cupboard so they can't sneakily fit one while im not looking.

They - Shcottish Poower - keep sending me scary letters in which they downright lie and tell me that I have to have one by law, but I didn't fall for Nigerian scammers and ain't going to fall for that either.
If they are claiming you have to have one by law then you should contact the regulator
Putting a bit of pressure on you to change can be understood - if not approved of - but outright lying is all sorts of wrong!
And kinda dumb in a letter that can be sent to legal people^_^

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Seems impossible to contact some of these utility companies at the moment. I expect COVID is their excuse?
Not only them,but banks are also using that excuse. I went to the Halifax bank in Accrington the other day. I was met with a sign saying closed until further notice due to covid.:headshake:It didn't look like a 'close it down for a day or so as a member of staff has/had covid' closure. It looked like it'd been closed for months as spiders webs were building up in the window and peering through those mucky windows it looked like they were emptying the place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sorry, I was confusing you with someone who was saying on here some time ago that smart meters are to be avoided.

Anyway, the good news is, once you have a smart meter, you should no longer need to take meter readings.
Did i say that?🤔 Anyway,what's so bad about them?🤔 Surely you don't pay more if you have one?🤔

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm posting the figures/numbers of both my meters on here, in case PFP get stroppy and say it's not a correct reading,or summat like that.:unsure:

Gas....02804
Electricity....00016442

Or,if i lose the bit of paper i wrote them down on.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom