Energy supplier switch over question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It's impossible to photograph the gas meter reading! I've tried,but no luck. One hand holding a torch,one holding my phone/camera,so how do i press the number 9 digit? Whoever put that meter in the back of a cupboard like that is a thick @~#!!!!!!:cursing:
Use the flash? That's what I have to do for both gas and electricity meters.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Use the flash? That's what I have to do for both gas and electricity meters.
I can't focus in due to my restricted vision. Seriously i'm getting myself all psyched up over this! No bloody help from anybody whatsoever!!

southcoast

Über Member
When I changed recently the new supplier asked for an opening reading. They then sent this information to my old supplier. The old supplier then used this reading for the final closing account bill.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Can you use the timer function on your phone camera. It takes a bunch of pics so you can pick the sharpest one. As you have been overpaying for years, why did you take them to task, ages ago, and request a refund? I chase my supplier when I am due a credit. Same with water.

Definitely take a record of the reading of your meters Though.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Don't worry about the meter reading. Scottish Power will just send you a massively inflated bill at the end of August and ask for the readings so they can confirm you are paying the correct amount. Then in September they will let you know that they have reviewed the figures and that you have used less energy than expected so your account is £££ in credit. Despite this they will suggest that you increase your direct debit payment (or just do it anyhow). And repeat this until the end of your contract when you have to fight them for the return of the amount you are in credit by.

Spot the ex-Scottish Power customer!

I switched recently after an horrendous experience with bulb energy. I've bit the bullet and gone back to a big six company - and won't be switching again.

I had trouble getting readings to my new supplier. What transpired is that in the absence of readings the two companies just agree a reading on which you switched. Apparently it's not that bigger deal.

More amazingly if you get into estimates. The estimates are handled by a 3rd party company (whichever supplier you are with). My estimates went haywire (like £4k per year) ...and even more amazingly still - these can't be corrected - but will correct themselves overtime (at least 18 months). So I know make sure current supplier gets an actual reading every month.

And before you all shout ombudsman. Been there and got a small amount of compensation. But the gist of what I have typed above is the best they could do.

Really think these should be brought under state control. Bulb energy just didn't give a damm and can pretty much do as they please. A terrible situation.

Don't worry about the meter reading. Scottish Power will just send you a massively inflated bill at the end of August and ask for the readings so they can confirm you are paying the correct amount. Then in September they will let you know that they have reviewed the figures and that you have used less energy than expected so your account is £££ in credit. Despite this they will suggest that you increase your direct debit payment (or just do it anyhow). And repeat this until the end of your contract when you have to fight them for the return of the amount you are in credit by.

Spot the ex-Scottish Power customer!

Yep - the market is more or less unregulated. I'm not switching again. Incredible that such poor companies can operate in a borderline fraudulent way and not be brought to book

When I changed recently the new supplier asked for an opening reading. They then sent this information to my old supplier. The old supplier then used this reading for the final closing account bill.

In an ideal world this is how it should work. Mine fell some way short of this.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Anyway,i've got both meter readings (the gas one is so hard to get) so i can't do more than that. I'll wait for both PFP and Scottish Energy to email me and i'll keep my eye on my bank account money ins and money outs to see if PFP Energy try and take some more money off me.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
They all keep a close eye on each others' tariffs so it doesn't make any difference whatsoever who your supplier is- all you need to know is that prices have risen significantly this year so all you are saving is the difference between an end of contract grossly inflated 'variable standard rate' and the one, two or three year fixed rate contract which they all do... it's a cartel by any other name.

You won't be paying twice for the energy you use so it really doesn't matter- it'll be a simple change-over from one supplier to another on their database and their prices will be there or thereabouts anyway.

Top Bottom