England v Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
rustychisel said:
Rooney to go red in the face and cry when he misses another sitter, Germany to win 4-0 if they bring their 'A' game to the occasion.

although I wish it would go otherwise, I can't stand Klose.

Germany to lose 4-0 if England play at their full potential.

More likely a draw at the end of extra time and _ _ _ _ a n _ lose. (please fill in the blanks)!

Davidc said:
Memories of 1-5 in Munich.

Bring 'em on.

err, that was in 2001, 9 years ago. 1966, 2001. ffs.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

Soltydog said:
I was working that night & I'm working this Sunday, so maybe ??? ;)

Im am working this time although but may get home just in time,I missed the 5-1....hopefully I can be a good Omen 666.:smile:

Davidc

Guru
trustysteed said:
err, that was in 2001, 9 years ago. 1966, 2001. ffs.

I did say memories!

Don't think I fancy betting on this result, but there's one German former player I'd just love to see eating humble pie .........

mangaman

Smokin Joe said:

I was about to bring that up smoking Joe.

Beckenbauer has been sniping at England throughout - maybe he's a bit nervous :wacko:

I've not been impressesd by either team to be honest so far. Beckenbauer seems to have conveniently forgotten the fact they lost to Serbia and scraped a 1-0 win over Ghana.

They hardly look like world beaters.

England's defence does reassure me.

I think Ashley Cole is the best left back in the tournament, Glen Johnson has done surprisingly well in defence as well as going forward. Terry played very well against Slovenia and Carragher is back (probably the weakest link) and James has looked solid.

We have still only conceded one goal in the tournament - a Rob Green OG basically.

If we get our midfield/strikers playing to their potential I think we are a better team than Germany.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Something else of interest in today's Grauniad - a letter from a Cambridge professor:

Capello still hasn't got my "two goalkeepers" point (Letters, 23 June). Against Slovenia, he's tried to keep Gerrard and Lampard out of each other's way, but there's a double cost: pushing Gerrard out wide where he's wasted, while Barry, not Lampard, takes on Gerrard's role as the key creative player in the centre – not Barry's best role, which is the holding player. This happens because Lampard doesn't relish the role of central creator – he likes to be free to arrive in the box at the right moment to score. Only if Capello leaves out Lampard can Gerrard and Barry play their best roles for England. Releasing Lampard's place also means many more wide options, where England have enviable talent to attack the Germans. It's Capello's Jimmy Greaves moment – this is when we find out whether he really can face up to tough decisions and create the optimal team on the pitch, not simply juggle with the most celebrated names.

Professor Simon Szreter
St John's College, Cambridge

And people say they live in an ivory tower...

mangaman

swee said:
Capello still hasn't got my "two goalkeepers" point (Letters, 23 June). Against Slovenia, he's tried to keep Gerrard and Lampard out of each other's way, but there's a double cost: pushing Gerrard out wide where he's wasted, while Barry, not Lampard, takes on Gerrard's role as the key creative player in the centre – not Barry's best role, which is the holding player. This happens because Lampard doesn't relish the role of central creator – he likes to be free to arrive in the box at the right moment to score. Only if Capello leaves out Lampard can Gerrard and Barry play their best roles for England. Releasing Lampard's place also means many more wide options, where England have enviable talent to attack the Germans. It's Capello's Jimmy Greaves moment – this is when we find out whether he really can face up to tough decisions and create the optimal team on the pitch, not simply juggle with the most celebrated names.[/I]

Professor Simon Szreter
St John's College, Cambridge

And people say they live in an ivory tower...

I agree with him too.

I would drop Lampard and play Joe Cole on the left, Gerard and Barry in the middle and Milner.

And I would drop Rooney (who's not fit and has been our worst player in all 3 games) and play Crouch and Defoe - who play together very successfully for Spurs.

It won't happen - Rooney / Gerard / Lampard seem undroppable however crap they play.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You'd probably go along with his earlier letter too:

Everybody is scratching their heads in frustration at England's woeful performances on the pitch. The fault undoubtedly lies with the manager and it is absolutely obvious what it is. Like Eriksson and McLaren before him, Capello is falling into the trap of trying to play two goalkeepers at once. What do I mean by this? When England was lucky enough to have the two best goalies in the world, nobody tried putting them both on the pitch at the same time. This is the mistake the overpaid, celebrity-obsessed England managers keep making, putting both Gerrard and Lampard on the pitch together.

In all great teams each individual plays a unique and complementary role, as Alf Ramsey knew, famously playing Geoff Hurst instead of Jimmy Greaves, not alongside him. England currently has the two greatest attacking midfielders in the world at its disposal, but played together they destroy the team's balance, harmony and rhythm.England's best performances in the last few years occurred when Lampard was unavailable through injury. Neither McLaren at the time, nor Capello since, drew the obvious conclusion. Less is more.

mangaman

swee said:
Everybody is scratching their heads in frustration at England's woeful performances on the pitch. The fault undoubtedly lies with the manager and it is absolutely obvious what it is. Like Eriksson and McLaren before him, Capello is falling into the trap of trying to play two goalkeepers at once. What do I mean by this? When England was lucky enough to have the two best goalies in the world, nobody tried putting them both on the pitch at the same time. This is the mistake the overpaid, celebrity-obsessed England managers keep making, putting both Gerrard and Lampard on the pitch together.[/I]

In all great teams each individual plays a unique and complementary role, as Alf Ramsey knew, famously playing Geoff Hurst instead of Jimmy Greaves, not alongside him. England currently has the two greatest attacking midfielders in the world at its disposal, but played together they destroy the team's balance, harmony and rhythm.England's best performances in the last few years occurred when Lampard was unavailable through injury. Neither McLaren at the time, nor Capello since, drew the obvious conclusion. Less is more.

I do - I wonder what he's a professor of - I might go to some of his lectures :smile:

Top Bottom